Just saw the new 2005FPW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just saw the new 2005FPW

My buddy ordered one a few days ago. It arrived today and he set it up.

It is nothing short of amazing. The crispness and color reproduction is the best I've ever seen. I didn't play a game or watch a movie on it, but regular computer tasks and web browsing was phenominal. I kind of wish I never saw it because now I want one

It also supports PiP and PBP which is a nice feature IMHO. Now I just need to see how games look.
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Is this one of the multi-video input models? How well does it handle scaling? One of the problems I have with the HP L2335 is that it doesn't maintain unique settings per input and scaling is touch to control (had to learn some tricks on my own). I got a replacement monitor (which I gave back) that addressed some of the scaling issues on analog inputs but had a regression bug and was refurbished (scratched and marred). I'm still working with them on a new replacement with fixes. Luckily I've got a three year warranty. Is this one of the multi-video input models? How well does it handle scaling? One of the problems I have with the HP L2335 is that it doesn't maintain unique settings per input and scaling is touch to control (had to learn some tricks on my own). I got a replacement monitor (which I gave back) that addressed some of the scaling issues on analog inputs but had a regression bug and was refurbished (scratched and marred). I'm still working with them on a new replacement with fixes. Luckily I've got a three year warranty.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

It has 4 inputs: Composite, DVI, S-video, and I can't remember the 4th. What do you mean by scaling?

Also, I'm not sure if it holds the settings as you change inputs. I just got back from seeing a DVD play on it. From the short 30 seconds I watched (from 10 feet away), I didn't see any problems with the black or notice any other anomalies. I might get to play with it more tomorrow.
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

The fourth video input would be component. Mine also had a problem with component inputs in that it field reverses the video (or so the user group's claim). I returned my component cable and went with S-Video along with DVI-D. I also need a 15' run so good component cables gets a bit expensive at that length.

HP support didn't know what I meant by scaling either which was a bit disconcerting. The video input needs to be scaled to fill the screen as SDV is 480i and the screen is 1920x1200. You have options of no scaling (1:1 pixel mapping), fill-to-screen (which stretches the video to fit the 19x12 aspect ratio and scales the video to fill the whole screen, and fill-to-aspect ratio (which maintains the 4x3 aspect ratio of NTSC video). You would ideally match your input and output resolutions to achieve the highest quality picture but a 1:1 mapping of 480i video will present you with a small window centered in your large display. Eventually its probably better to process the video before feeding it to the LCD so its driven at its native resolution and you can use superior external processing. I plan on using ffdshow and my HTPC is designed around running that app (able to use 1 GHz memory bandwidth by oc'ing).
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Might be able to do your buddy one better. Just received my 2405. Yes, HL2 is as absolutely amazing at 1920 X 1200:
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Ray
            Might be able to do your buddy one better. Just received my 2405. Yes, HL2 is as absolutely amazing at 1920 X 1200:

I hate you! kidding. I can't wait till I can scrape up enough dough to buy myself a 2405FPW. It looks amazing. Enjoy it!
            Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
            MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
            Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
            Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

I should pick up HL2 and try it out on my HTPC. That would be the third game I never get around to playing, after Doom III and Uru. ... some day I'll take the time.

Comment

You're not missing anything if you skip Doom3.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Yep have one of those at work, it's quite good for CAD Use you can get a drawing on there properly and the side toolbars.

I would like the 2004fpw, but i'm waiting for this silly HDMI thing to sort itself out.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                    You're not missing anything if you skip Doom3.
                    I didn't skip it since I bought the game (even pre-ordered to get my little statue. ). I just haven't done much with it except see that I can push my system and run it smoothly at Ultra levels. The game didn't seem any different than previous iterations except for a nicer engine.

Comment

I tried the Demo and couldn't get into it. Same with HL2. I was very impressed with both graphically though.
                      P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Originally posted by xortam
                        I didn't skip it since I bought the game (even pre-ordered to get my little statue. ). I just haven't done much with it except see that I can push my system and run it smoothly at Ultra levels. The game didn't seem any different than previous iterations except for a nicer engine.
                        Previous iterations were fun. That's the key difference.
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Fluff

I would like the 2004fpw, but i'm waiting for this silly HDMI thing to sort itself out.
                          What issue is that? Besides HDMI-DVI cables costing an arm and a leg?
                          Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Originally posted by GT98
                            What issue is that? Besides HDMI-DVI cables costing an arm and a leg?
                            Probably the fact that most of these multi-video monitors are more geared towards computer use and therefore don't support the HDCP protocol (over DVI or HDMI). I'm obviously just guessing that's what he meant.

Comment

Off Topic:
                              Originally posted by Wombat
                              Previous iterations were fun. That's the key difference.
                              I really liked Doom 3 it was imo better then HL2 and the expansion pack Resurrection of Evil is also really good, I guess it's just a matter of personal taste.
                              Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                              Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                              Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Working...
                              X