Solid State HDD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid State HDD

Welcome to Samsung IN. Discover a wide range of home electronics with cutting-edge technology including TVs, smartphones, tablets, home appliances & more!

Sum:

Samsung has announced that they have developed solid state HDD using NAND flash RAM technology. The new HDDs will be come 1.8 and 2.5 inch sizes, and capacities of 4, 8 and 16 GB. Samsung states that the SS-HDDs have a write speed of 57 MB/s and a write speed of 32 MB/s, matching or beating standard desktop and laptop HDDs in read/write ability. The initial release of drives will be designed for Tablet PCs and sub-notebook PCs, and will be release this year.

Larger variations are due out next year.

Hopefully this will push IBM and Infineon to finish their MRAM design and get it to market sooner

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

cool, but I thought I read somewhere that flash actually has a very finite life and isn't well suited for real data storage functions.
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Originally posted by schmosef
      cool, but I thought I read somewhere that flash actually has a very finite life and isn't well suited for real data storage functions.
      Typical flash RAM can only do 1000 write operations per sector before it become unusable. I would think Samsung's implementation of NAND flash RAM would solve, or at least drastically increase, the write limitation.

That's why people are so pumped about MRAM. Unlimited read/writes and it should operate at around SDRAM speed (50 ns and faster). Though the latest rumors have it 5-10 off before it comes to a PC near you.

Comment

Wonder how much this is going to cost?

At Tomshardware, they estimate it being around 1200$ USD for a 16gb unit. (in the news section)

And MRAM will probably be MUCH higher.
        Titanium is the new bling!
        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
          Typical flash RAM can only do 1000 write operations per sector before it become unusable. ...
          First I've heard of this. Suddenly my 1 GB CF card doesn't look so attractive.
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

MMMMM a nice 12 drive array RAID-5

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
              And MRAM will probably be MUCH higher.
              Actualy, that may not be true. IBM's goal is to make MRAM cheaper to produce than SDRAM or Flash. How long it will be before we see a several hundred GB MRAM drive for under $250 is anyone's guess.

Comment

Originally posted by xortam
                First I've heard of this. Suddenly my 1 GB CF card doesn't look so attractive.
                It's getting better, but you're still limited to the number of writes capable.

Comment

It's getting better, but you're still limited to the number of writes capable.
                  I guess I'll make a point of filling up the card more with photos/videos before I upload and purge the camera for another run. It seems you could burn through a CF card relatively quickly if you're always only utilizing the lower part of the memory space.

How stable is the flash they use in CF cards? I heard you shouldn't keep the photos on flash for too long as there's a volatility problem.
                  <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Originally posted by xortam
                    I guess I'll make a point of filling up the card more with photos/videos before I upload and purge the camera for another run. It seems you could burn through a CF card relatively quickly if you're always only utilizing the lower part of the memory space.
                    That's not true. The CF cards have lots of circuitry dedicated to transparently remapping. After all, FAT re-writes some sectors every time it is accessed. The CF card clones and remaps those sectors when it wears them out.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                      That's not true. The CF cards have lots of circuitry dedicated to transparently remapping. After all, FAT re-writes some sectors every time it is accessed. The CF card clones and remaps those sectors when it wears them out.
                      Thanks for the info. I was wondering about remapping when I wrote that last post. Seems they would have to have done something to help out the longevity of the memory.

... Oh ... you mean remapping bad segments. I was wondering if they remap the addresses so you're not always starting at the same segment when writing to an empty card.
                      Last edited by xortam; 24 May 2005, 14:31.

Comment

I can think of quite a few uses for this sort of drive...

in fact, i had an idea that it would be perfect for...
                        "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Originally posted by DGhost
                          I can think of quite a few uses for this sort of drive...

in fact, i had an idea that it would be perfect for...
                          Well it would be certainly handy for rough envirionments. SS drives would be nice for car audio media.

Comment

Actualy, that may not be true. IBM's goal is to make MRAM cheaper to produce than SDRAM or Flash. How long it will be before we see a several hundred GB MRAM drive for under $250 is anyone's guess.
                            It will most likely be exspensive when it hits the market for the first time. (that's what I meant)
                            Titanium is the new bling!
                            (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Working...
                            X