X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hell freezing over? Apple in talks with Intel

Interesting...
    Last edited by GT98; 6 June 2005, 12:20. Reason: update
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

I think it is a smokescreen. They touted their G5's performance over x86 so much.
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Nothing there says it's about CPUs. It could be an intel graphics chip or USB controller or flash or something. That's plausible.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Nor is this something new - Apple and Intel have had similar meetings before over the years. If anything, I would look for a development in an area other than what one would assume this pertains to.
        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

They could also just be trying to get extra documentation from Intel for a possible port of MacOS to x86. Though they would probably talk to AMD forx86-64 info, if that is the case.

- Steve

Comment

Yeah, I was going to say it will more than likely be for a port, and not for a replacement. Lots of money to be made with going x86.

My bet is Steve Jobs or one of his cronies said, "D00d, check out these numbers! When we made the iPod PC-compatible our numbers skyrocketed. I bet if we ported OS X to PC and put it as a direct competitor to Winblows we could make a killing."

Research has shown that 6% of iPod users have switched to Macs. 7% of the people questioned stated that they plan on switching to Mac when their PCs die.

It would be a smart move for Apple ... even some of MURCs more venerable PC people have switched to, or plan to switch to, Mac systems. Hell, even I thought of buying a Mac Mini to build a tiny HTPC...
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
              Yeah, I was going to say it will more than likely be for a port, and not for a replacement. Lots of money to be made with going x86.
              I strongly disagree. Apple is a hardware company first. They produce software to support their hardware. If they went x86, then they'd lost their hardware lock-in.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Well Apple has always maintained a x86 port of OS X in one form or another, so it's not entirely out of question; however, Wombat is correct - Apple is first and foremost a hardware company, or rather, a total experience company. Jobs despises the clone market that once was and would likely be again with a move to a x86 platform. That said, I wouldn't put it past Jobs and Apple to come up with a solution that met their requirements.

Most likely, Apple is simply positioning for any future possibilities. Jobs primary goal is to never let Apple suffer the downfall it did before.

Comment

I wouldn't ming buying an Intel powered Mac if it means I can install Windows on it !
                  System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

Originally posted by PAugustin
                    I wouldn't ming buying an Intel powered Mac if it means I can install Windows on it !
                    Oh the horror

Comment

From The Register, a nice summary of why it's doubtful Apple would be moving, at this point, to an Intel/x86 platform.

Comment

Like Jesterzwild said, Apple is experience company. They are selling added value of experience/branding and if they ported their OS, they would loose experience, OS perception (more different hardware to support, more likely to break) and huge premiums on hardware.

I think it's more of the following:

From Ars:
                        There's a much simpler explanation available. The Apple-Intel conversations that the WSJ is reporting likely have to do with Intel's Xscale CPU, a cool little chip that is fantastic for things like appliances and portable devices. Think gadgets and set-top boxes. If Apple is looking at branching out into other consumer electronics hardware, the Xscale would be a logical choice.

Comment

I think that Apple is coming out with a game console!

Seriously, Intel is probably pissed to be frozen out of this round.

I doubt that Apple is considering switching platforms for their PC. Wasn't part of the Microsoft bail-out that Applie couldn't release an x86 version of their OS?

I didn't red the Reg article but I bet it mentions something about that deal.
                          Last edited by schmosef; 23 May 2005, 18:07.
                          P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

No, no mention of the MS deal in the Register article; though, the MS bail-out was more about being able to show there was competition in the OS market. MS probably wouldn't be thrilled about OS X on x86, but I don't there is much they could do about it in regards to the aforementioned cash injection. We all know how Jobs and Gates like to undermine each other

Comment

I had read this morning that the interest was in lower powered Intel CPUs for mobile Apple platforms.
                              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Working...
                              X