Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sending files from one computer to another

Hi,

I have a mac, and I want to send large files (mainly photographs) to a friend of mine across the country......is there a simple (and elegant) way of doing this?

Thanks,

-X-
    ASUS P2B-DS REV 1.06 D03 w/ DUAL 1.4GHZ Tualatins; Matrox Parhelia; M-Audio Delta 410

Apple Powerbook G4 - 1.33GHZ

if they're on dialup then perhaps burn the files to cdr or dvd & post it to them.

Comment

Otherwise one way of doing it (if files are not too large or when you switch to broadand) is setting an FTP server on either side.

You can use IIS with Windows (Filezilla is also good), Linux distros also come with FTP server, I'm sure there's FTP server software for the Mac. Just make sure your FTP software is patched regardless of OS.

Then either upload files to friend or have him/her download files from you.

Full CD or DVD over post is usually faster than dialup though (39h for 700MB CD @5kB/s).

Comment

I run an FTP server and like it, but if this is going to be a one-time thing, you might as well just zip it up into one file and transfer it over AIM or some other instant messager.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Can you quantify "large"? If it's in the GB, the you can't beat the post office. Hundreds of megts should do OK as long as you UP speed is fast enough.

Comment

On a Mac you can easily setup secure ftp.
            System Preferences -> Sharing -> Remote Login

That enables SSH and SFTP.
            Create an account for him on your computer and then put the files in a shared folder or into his account's Documents folder.
            Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
            Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Working...
            X