Whatheheck are *.key files?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whatheheck are *.key files?

*.key (key frame) files are used to flag an encoder, at least most of 'em, that a portion of a video file needs special attention. Many encoders create their own virtual key files, but sometimes miss something important. Automation ain't perfect.

What to do....

Normally one would load an *.avi source into the File/Data Rate Analysis dialog, scroll through the analysis looking for bitrate peaks or changes in the source that would require special attention by the encoder, setting key frames along the way and saving the result out as a *.key file.

This *.key file could then be loaded into the Create/Video File/Options/Video Editor pages "Use Key Frame File" dialog whereupon the encoder (at least most of 'em) would flag these keyframes for special attention the form of higher quality settings. This would be of most utility when encoding MPEG's.

I say "normally" because I recently noticed that in MSPro 7.3 there is no keyframe manager in the Data Rate Analysis dialog and the Save As button is ghosted, meaning you can neither create nor save a *.key file.

Grrr...

I've written to Ulead about this presumed bug and also asked if a *.key file could be manually created from the timecode displayed in the Data Rate Analysis window.

Cross your fingers....

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 20 May 2005, 11:33.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps
Working...
X