Xbox 360 will give you 4xAA and HD for free

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xbox 360 will give you 4xAA and HD for free

Was reading the HOCP article. Came across this interesting info on the 10MB embedded memory on the GPU.

The Xbox 360 Smart 3D Memory is a relatively small piece of DRAM sitting off to the side of the GPU but yet on the same substrate. The Smart 3D Memory weighs in at only 10MB. Now the first thing that you might think is, “Well what the hell good is 10MB in the world of 512MB frame buffers?” And that would be a good line of questioning. The “small” 10MB of Smart 3D memory that is currently being built by NEC will have an effective bus rate between it and the GPU of 2GHz. This is of course over 3X faster that what we see on the high end of RAM today.

Inside the Smart 3D Memory is what is referred to as a 3D Logic Unit. This is literally 192 Floating Point Unit processors inside our 10MB of RAM. This logic unit will be able to exchange data with the 10MB of RAM at an incredible rate of 2 Terabits per second. So while we do not have a lot of RAM, we have a memory unit that is extremely capable in terms of handling mass amounts of data extremely quickly. The most incredible feature that this Smart 3D Memory will deliver is “antialiasing for free” done inside the Smart 3D RAM at High Definition levels of resolution. (For more of just what HiDef specs are, you can read here. Yes, the 10MB of Smart 3D Memory can do 4X Multisampling Antialiasing at or above 1280x720 resolution without impacting the GPU. So all of your games on Xbox 360 are not only going to be in High Definition, but all will have 4XAA applied as well.

The Smart 3D Memory can also compute Z depths, occlusion culling, and also does a very good job at figuring stencil shadows. You know, the shadows in games that will be using the DOOM 3 engine, like Quake 4 and Prey?
    A link to the page: http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzcxLDM=
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

So not only will it look good but it will look good on my upcoming 60" 1080p RPTV.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

XBox 360 will cook you dinner!

XBox 360 will do your laundry!

XBox 360 will suck your dick!

XBox 360 will... suck.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
        XBox 360 will cook you dinner!

XBox 360 will do your laundry!

XBox 360 will suck your dick!

XBox 360 will... suck.
        That clinches it ... I'm getting me one.
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Nothing is freee :-)

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU
            Nothing is freee :-)
            No. This one time, I thought I was getting ... well, y'know ... for free, but here I am ten years later and not only did she spend all my money, but she STILL hasn't left. *sigh* (KIDDING)
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            I would still get screwed

Comment

Jason runs for cover before Julie kicks his a$$
              [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
              Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
              Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
              Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
              Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                No. This one time, I thought I was getting ... well, y'know ... for free, but here I am ten years later and not only did she spend all my money, but she STILL hasn't left. *sigh* (KIDDING)
                Maybe if you got her babymobile ready and fully tanked...

Comment

Working...
                X