Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nForce3 or nForce4 w/ new card?

Hey all,
    I'm planning a new system purchase (have a dedicated computer budget), and I'm trying to figure out what to buy. I've had my MSI 745Ultra for quite a while, so I'm trying to figure out if it's better to buy a new video card now, or a new motherboard later.

I have an ATI 9800Pro. It works pretty well for me. I primarily play CS:Source.

I'm going Athlon64. Should I go for an nForce3 now, or nForce4? Are there reasonably-priced cards that are worthwhile upgrades to my 9800Pro?

Opinions, and even board recommendations, are welcome.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Define "reasonably priced".

There are certainly Radeon X800's (or X700's) that are faster than your 9800Pro. Are they "reasonable"? Not really. I think you'll find that a PCI-Express version of any "really fast" ATI card is gonna run $300+.

On the other hand, if you decide to upgrade, send your 9800 Pro this way.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

I'm biased Nforce 4
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

http://eu.shuttle.com/en/desktopdefa...70_read-10230/

This is my latest PC

NForce3

I have a 9800Pro - only problem was that you really need to have the latest drivers from nvidia to enable the LAN, which is in turn required to run my internet connection. Its a good idea to throw it on a media card before you start!

the nosiest bit of the computer is the fan on the 9800

I can run some benchmarks for you at the weekend, if you want. Tell me what type and I will see what I can do.

I have half Life 2 around somewhere, but dont know how to do a timedemo for you.

I have not tried any overclocking or anything else with this rig (too new to risk and the heat might be a problem with such a small case).

at the time I built this computer (february) I could not get a small form nforce 4
        redred
        Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

If you plan to keep your 9800, the NF3 is the way to go. otherwise, go NF4 with a 6600 GT. There is a socket change happening soon. If you're on a budget, go the NF3 route, otherwise get an Asus A8N-SLI and an XFX 6600 GT with dual DVI or, OMG, a PCI-E Matrox .

Comment

Well, I'm shopping around on newegg at the moment.

I have an $800 budget to use, plus whatever personal money I might put in.

Currently thinking:
            nForce4 (not sure which brand or board - recommendations?)
            2x (2 x 512MB) Corsair Value DDR400
            AMD Venice 3000 or 3200
            ATI X800 XL

Favorite motherboards, folks? I'm thinking maybe Gigabyte this time around.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
              Favorite motherboards, folks? I'm thinking maybe Gigabyte this time around.
              Asus, MSI and Gigabyte are what I typically use. I've really been impressed with GB lately. They use some really nice components in their boards (like real TI IEEE 1394b chips, SI SATA controllers, etc.) Though I don't like the RealTek audio solution, but it would bother me since I don't use integrated audio.
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

@Wombat: skip the 3000/3200, go to the 3500+ or 3800+. Get Crucial RAM instead of Corsair value. It's usually cheaper and of top quality.

Comment

Gigabyte for nonSLI nF4, go SLI only if you plan to have top of the line fast cards or dual cards for quad head. Otherwise SLI is not as good as single fast card for gaming.

Comment

If you wait a week I can tell you initial reports using the Gigabyte K8N Ultra-9 with Linux.
                    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt
                      @Wombat: skip the 3000/3200, go to the 3500+ or 3800+. Get Crucial RAM instead of Corsair value. It's usually cheaper and of top quality.
                      The Corsair is $80 to Crucial's $105, and seems to work great from what I've heard.

I'm getting a Venice core for sure. The 3000/3200/3500 are priced at $150/$200/$270. Is the 3500 really worth it?

Comment

Also, anybody have any good reasons in ATI vs. nVidia? I'm leaning towards ATI b/c my 9800Pro has been such an awesome card, and looks better on my CRT than my GF3Ti did (which was a Gainward, so among the best of that generation).

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                          Also, anybody have any good reasons in ATI vs. nVidia? I'm leaning towards ATI b/c my 9800Pro has been such an awesome card, and looks better on my CRT than my GF3Ti did (which was a Gainward, so among the best of that generation).
                          If you still use Linux actively, the nVidia drivers are better than ATI. I haven't gone through any comparisons myself, but I hear the 6600GT at that price point is better than ATI's offerings. Sounds like you are going for something higher end though.
                          Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                          Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Thanks, I still use Linux, but it's on my second machine. I'm still running my G400MAX on it b/c I just need top-notch 2D and I don't do 3D stuff on it. I have a GF3Ti sitting in the closet, even.

Hmmm, maybe I should sell that.

Comment

Lucky you about the RAM prices, here it's the contrary: Corsair is the more expensive choice.

For the CPU, it's not a matter of price. I'm just wondering what would be the point for you to go from an OCed 2000+ to a CPU that's basically as fast. With the 3500 you should see a bit of a difference, otherwise I don't think it matters much. Take the best bang for the buck.

Are you planning on changing the HDD too? Make sure you check the amount of IDE ports on the mobo, newer ones have a tendency to only have one IDE port only and 2-4 SATA.

Comment

Working...
                              X