Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DV Cards

Can anyone please help.

I have the choice of 2 cards to use with my Sony TRV620E Pal D8 camcorder. They are Pyro Digital Video 1394 DV & Pinnacle Studio DV, both are the standard versions. Can anyone advise which one I should use to give best results. I am using MSP 6.0

Thanks

people seem to like the pyro, but search the forums for discussions of more specific issues...
    Please visit http://spincycle.n3.net - My System: Celeron 300a(@450/2v),Abit BH6, 128mb RAM, Win98SE, Marvel G200TV, Diamond MX300, Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 20g system drive, DiamondMax Plus 40 capture drive, IBM 8g Deskstar program drive, Adaptec 2940UW SCSI, 9gb Barracuda UWSCSI video drive, Hitachi GD-2500 DVD-Rom, UltraPlex CD-Rom, Plexwriter CD-recorder, Viewsonic PT775, Soundworks 4.1 speakers

Comment

You could go to the videoguys website and compare the products' feature-sets side-by-side. From memory, I think there are limitations as to which software the Pinnacle card will work with. OHCI compliancy? Can't remember, check it out:

http://www.videoguys.com/
      Intel TuC3 1.4 | 512MB SDRAM | AOpen AX6BC BX/ZX440 | Matrox Marvel G200 | SoundBlaster Live! Value | 12G/40G | Pioneer DVR-108 | 2 x 17" CRTs

Comment

thanks for the help

Comment

I'd recommend the Pyro for the software bundle, but since you've already got MSP6, if you what to save money any OHCI firewire card with a TI chipset should do.

At this point I reccommend the cheap generic route simply because other than the editing bundles, there is no other reason to pay more for a "brand name" since they won't supply any real tech support anyways.

I say this based on experience with OHCI 1394 cards from: Orange Micro (NEC chipset -- not reccommended at this time!), ADS, SIIG, D-Link, and a totally generic card with no makers marks of anykind, but a TI chipset.

All have worked find for basic DV in/out to my Sony D8 camcorders. Only two of five systems tested could output a DV file back to the camcorder from a 1394 drive. Tech support replies have been non-existent, or worse -- useless boilerplate about fixing win9x, proving they didn't even read enough of what I wrote to see that I was using windows 2000!

You don't have to go far on the web to see tech support complaints about Pinnacle.

So I'd say you have much more than two choices and suggest going with the cheapest "generic" 1394 card that is based on the TI firewire chip. Be sure to consider only cards that include a cable as the gouge factor on 6-pin to 4-pin 1394 cables is absurd if you try to buy a non-bundled one.

--wally.

Comment

Working...
          X