Apple's Xbox 360

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple's Xbox 360

A pair of Apple Powermac G5 systems were actually running the Xbox 360 demos, not the 360 console. The consoles in the kiosks weren't actually running, they were just for show - now you know why all the controllers were wired.

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/...spx?i=2420&p=5
    "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

That's ok, the Amigas prototype, Lorraine, was breadboarded for it's CES demo.
    Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 19 May 2005, 08:13.

Comment

So I guess most xbox games would be playable on a mac then . Probably they are running some kind of developer platform for testing developing games.
      Last edited by KeiFront; 19 May 2005, 02:15.
      Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
      Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
      Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Funny that MS should use macs - but traditionally the different branches of MS haven't exactly been religiously sticking to Wintel stuff (which only shows how well and pragmatic this corporation is lead).

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

If I remember correctly, xbox 360 development kit where Apple G5 running a special version of NT4. So it's not that surprising to see those computer running the demos. However it shows that the console is still far from finished ! There must be a ton of bugs in the system !!!
          System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

Originally posted by az
            Funny that MS should use macs - but traditionally the different branches of MS haven't exactly been religiously sticking to Wintel stuff (which only shows how well and pragmatic this corporation is lead).

AZ
            Yep, just look what's in the background on Billi's desk...

Comment

Originally posted by PAugustin
              If I remember correctly, xbox 360 development kit where Apple G5 running a special version of NT4. So it's not that surprising to see those computer running the demos. However it shows that the console is still far from finished ! There must be a ton of bugs in the system !!!

Well wasn't there a PowerPC verison of NT anyway years ago?
              Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Yep. And I'd guess they're using something on NT kernel, not NT4. Win2k almost got released for PPC AFAIK...

Comment

They had a version of NT4 for almost every processor. MS has been making Apple software for a long, so I'm not really shocked that MS would use it.
                  “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I think that internally, MS has probably kept the PPC, MIPS, and Alpha cores of NT updated at least to Win2k levels. WinXP of course is more x86 and x86/64 hardware dependent, so I can't say about that - plus this is all speculation unless someone has some inside information.

But I think that the decision to not offer Win2k in PPC/Alpha/MIPS was less a discontinuation of the codebase and more a "nobody was buying it anymore", since x86 started getting exponentially faster, and x86 SMP was a more fiscally realistic solution than MIPS or Alpha or PPC.
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

I think there was some public release candidate for win2k on Alpha at least...

Comment

Win2k running on an iMac...I could buy a Mac then...

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                          I think that internally, MS has probably kept the PPC, MIPS, and Alpha cores of NT updated at least to Win2k levels.
                          I'd be surprised. I worked on PA-RISC processors, which originally had NT support, and MS didn't keep that going. I don't think they kept Alpha going either, I probably would have known.
                          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

No you wouldn't. It was a secret Apple ploy (a "so-classified-even-your-grandma-CANT-know-for-your-eyes-only" thing) to sell Macs to the Navy to power the missile launch systems of the nuclear subs. No chance you'd have known.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                              I'd be surprised. I worked on PA-RISC processors, which originally had NT support, and MS didn't keep that going. I don't think they kept Alpha going either, I probably would have known.
                              I knew I've heard somewhere about win2k on alpha ...

Comment

Working...
                              X