Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stellar Realms - the online game of interstellar conquest

Folks,

I recently played a round of a quite cool online game with v. little time commitment (and no graphics required!)... sort of resource management/conflict/diplomacy thing going on.

Anyway, it's here:

http://www.stellar-realms.com

The next round starts this weekend (Saturday 21st IIRC), but registration and the ability to choose your species and create your planet is there already. It's all good fun, and last round I managed to finish 8th out of about 60 planets... not too bad for a beginner. And if you get really in to it you can start posting in character in the forums there.

I'm about to create my planet for the next round - I'll let you know what it's called when I'm done and let's see if we can get a little bit of a MURC alliance going

Here's the blurb from the site:

What is Stellar Realms?
    Stellar Realms is an online, multiplayer strategy game in a science-fiction setting.

The object is to accumulate as much prestige as possible, through various means, in the period of 400 game-years.

This can be accomplished through construction, research, diplomacy, and occasionally, military action.

One month in the Stellar Realms universe constitutes a turn, and represents 20 minutes of "real-world" time. Therefore, a full 400-year round is accomplished in 66 real-world days. I think it's actually now 300 years so 7 weeks real time per round - Gnep

There are over 20 playable species, each with their unique blend of technologies, focus and philosophies.

Play styles can be quite diverse; play an avid technophile, xenophobic zealot, crafty diplomat, shrewd arms-merchant or militaristic bully, it's up to you. But keep in mind, there's only room for ONE planet at the top of the galactic prestige chart!
    Hope to see you there!

Gnep

(PS when creating a planet, last round I found that research was by far my biggest constraint. Read the help files on different species before blindly committing like I did last time )
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

I've set up my planet - gonna be playing as Commander Jameson of Lave

Comment

I tried to register, but it doesnt seem to like me.
      Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Hmmm that's odd. Try posting in the technical issues forum there (guest posts are allowed)

Comment

Did you have any luck Rich?

Comment

The next round is starting imminently. It would be great to have a few more MURCers playing - at the moment it's just me and RedRed... Come and have a go!

Comment

I am there! I played half the last round - great game!

More in the better

(cos its not THAT widly known (about 170 players - 80 or so active last round) it doesnt seem to pop up too much on WEB marshall or other corporate firewalls....

Completely web based - so you can run it on a PDA (though its tight)

RedRed
              Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Oh, and this round is actually 400 years not 300 long

Comment

I just signed up: KeiFront and my planet is called XIII.
                  Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                  Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                  Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Cool I've just allied with you...

Comment

Just look for planet murc
                      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Haha! The funny thing is, the first round I played, I was planet Murc with a leader called Timmy

Comment

I allied with you and RedRed and some other folks already, there's already a lot of activity. Do you have any hints for playing this game (I already read the manual)? I started building a Manufactoring Plant and I'm researching Construstion 1.
                          Last edited by KeiFront; 23 July 2005, 02:33.
                          Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Research is pretty key - once you've finished your manuf plant and constr 1, research science 1 and build a couple of research labs. Then carry on with Science 2, 3 etc. Basically I try to get my Research times down as quickly as possible. Also as soon as you see the chance, it's worth doing the research needed to build an intelligence agency and gets some agents - otherwise you'll notice your population disappearing and be able to do nothing about it.

There's no combat in the early stages of the game - that comes later when people have built fleets

I'll give some more tips when I've got a bit of time. Also it's worth reading through some of the threads from last round on the Stellar Realms forum.

Comment

Thanks, I'll start browsing the forums then.

Comment

Working...
                              X