What will follow ID Cards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What will follow ID Cards?

Once the various governments implement national ID cards. How long will it take them to start thinking about eliminating paper money?

Once the technology is there, they will implement it, through the front of the back door.

Citing reasons such as , money laundering, automatic tax calculation, financing terrorist organisations, war on drugs, saving trees.

I don't see it as a good future to be honest.

What do you guys think.

the senate here just passed a national ID bill tucked inside the latest funding measure to get it thru quickly and with NO public committee discusion at all. In short, 3 years from now, you will need this FED ID to travel via plane, federal driver's licencing,etc. The details are here on all the ramifications, but it willnot be pretty IMHO. "The National Governors Association has indicated at the possibility of a lawsuit to challenge the constitutionality of the Real ID provisions, which would create national driver's license standards, and a federal database of information from all 50 states." So not all hope is lost but the battle will be uphill for them. As stated on UnrealID, once the info is easily placed on such a card ANYONE who really wants the data will have it....there goes one's privacy.
    Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

ID cards had been mandatory here since ww2 and possibly before (never asked old folks). Now it's only mandatory to have some ID with picture (drivers licence, passport or ID card).

How do you authenticate yourself at the bank without ID cards?

Although abolishing paper money - that is a dangerous prospect.

Comment

Getting rid of money now thats a good idea!!!
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Geez.. no it isn't! I love heist movies. Money has been around for 5000+ years, too.. what sort of arrogance to make it all disappear and force you to be a little cog in the machine to survive.. no independence whatsoever. ANYONE who thinks this is a good idea had better hit themselves HARD right now, and knock some sense into themselves.

A federal ID is a horrible idea.. just a power play by Washington to dehumanize us and make us their own personal little cogs. It really is time for a revolution.. the US Senate in particular has forgotten its place. ****ing oligarchy.
          Last edited by KvHagedorn; 15 May 2005, 07:54.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
            Geez.. no it isn't! I love heist movies. Money has been around for 5000+ years, too.. what sort of arrogance to make it all disappear and force you to be a little cog in the machine to survive.. no independence whatsoever. ANYONE who thinks this is a good idea had better hit themselves HARD right now, and knock some sense into themselves.

A federal ID is a horrible idea.. just a power play by Washington to dehumanize us and make us their own personal little cogs. It really is time for a revolution.. the US Senate in particular has forgotten its place. ****ing oligarchy.

right....
            "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Most people will probably never notice the difference. the most you will likely have to do is renew your drivers liscence - granted, it would involve showing photo id, birth certificate and SSN card. . it is up to the state to bring their state id's up to compliance with federal standard.

the database will make it easier to verify identity across state borders. it should also eliminate the ability to use a fake out-of-state id in any business that cares to enforce it. remember those gas stations that won't take an out of state check with an out of state id? well, it should also cut down on policies like that. it might also make it easier to do things like open local bank accounts after you move.

that unrealid.com site is quite amusing. a thinly veiled political group attempting to hide behind being patriotic and all things american. content is more or less irrelevant, just the site is quite amusing.
              "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Originally posted by DGhost
                Most people will probably never notice the difference.
                Like most prisoners get "used to" having bubba pop them in the ass whenever he wants to? You wanna side with Big Brother? Fine. Everyone else does it by being passive, but there is no excuse to actively support such stuff.. unless you are mad. Are you mad, Colonel Nicholson?

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                  Like most prisoners get "used to" having bubba pop them in the ass whenever he wants to? You wanna side with Big Brother? Fine. Everyone else does it by being passive, but there is no excuse to actively support such stuff.. unless you are mad. Are you mad, Colonel Nicholson?
                  sorry, i'm not an O-6.

wanting to side with big brother? not really.

my job is to go to fight ****oles who would love to see each and every goddamn person in this country dead. not occupied, not enslaved, dead. not because they want our land, not because we stole their kings wife, but for the simple fact that we do not share the same narrow point of view that they do. we disagree. and because of that, they believe that it is their purpose in life to kill us. they don't give a flying **** what political viewpoint you have. they don't give a rats ass about if you would give them their own country or support their political agenda. if you are not devoted to their cause, you are an enemy and they will have no moral qualms with killing you if it suits them to.

now you can have whatever ****ing opinion you want about this topic - our constitution and the blood/sweat/tears of countless citizens has ensured that. but me personally... if it helps keep me from having to ever fight that fight in my own backyard I am for it.

edit: also... if it means that, when I am "home", I can enjoy the same priviledges that you enjoy *every day of your life* without some ****ole harassing me because of my out of state ID, I am also for it.
                  Last edited by DGhost; 15 May 2005, 11:21.

Comment

I only refer to Colonel Nicholson because he, too, was blind to what he was doing. If someone hassles you because you have an out of state ID, the problem is not that we need MORE bureaucracy, but less. Things have always been this way. Some people in Northumbria distrust people from Kent, some people from Bavaria distrust Saxons, and so on.. it isn't EVERYONE or EVERYWHERE that this happens, but let's not let people's natural skepticism to be used as an excuse to further restrict freedom/privacy. If your Colorado driver's license is not acceptable in North Carolina, why not? I think the proper thing to do is to MAKE it acceptable.. but like I have always said, this is more proof that the Senate serves itself and the corporate (and foreign) interests that lobby it and fund its members. They look down upon you and me as the scum of the earth. We are nothing. We are only US citizens.
                    Last edited by KvHagedorn; 15 May 2005, 11:38.

Comment

we don't want a chashless society, if that ever happens it will be the first sign of the apocolipse!!!!!

Cheers,
                      Elie

Comment

KhV,

Do you have any alterntives to a national Id Card? Don't you already have a drivers licnce? I don't see a problem with it, just with people who have hyperactive imanagtions.
                        Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Americans already have two national ID cards;

their drivers license (which now must meet Federal guidelines) and their Social Security card, which is now issued at birth and could easily be modded to have a picture and data strip.

Dr. Mordrid
                          Dr. Mordrid
                          ----------------------------
                          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                            Americans already have two national ID cards;

their drivers license (which now must meet Federal guidelines) and their Social Security card, which is now issued at birth and could easily be modded to have a picture and data strip.

Dr. Mordrid
                            I would not consider SS an ID card. Especially since you're generally supposed to leave it at home. An ID card is something you're supposed to have on you.
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Try leaving it at home when many employers now require seeing it get better confirmation that the number is real. Many don't just accept an orally given number anymore. Same goes for some banks when you open certain types of accounts.

Dr. Mordrid
                              Dr. Mordrid
                              ----------------------------
                              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                              X