She Got A Win!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She Got A Win!

She ran. Her training had prepared her for this day, and she ran as she had done a dozen times before in practice. She stopped. Why was everyone yelling, “walk, walk!” when she was supposed to be driving her little legs as hard she could towards the goal line. Slowly she realizes everyone else is walking, and so, she finished the race doing just that. Coming in first place in her own mind - it mattered little that she was penalized for the initial run and took in the bronze.

So while Mel was supposed to compete in the 50 meter dash, the official books had her misplaced into the 25 meter walk. We tried to prep her for the change, but she was too excited about the day’s events to care about anything but doing her best. Stacked against girls twice her size, she also placed sixth in the softball throw.

So excited she was that, upon calling one of her grandmas, all she could manage to say was, “I got a win!” That is the spirit that makes these events worth any hassles they may impose. In fact, we all came away as winners.

More photos on Flickr
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

congratulations to her
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

She's a cutie

I've been to plenty of special olympic events. It's pretty awesome on a human level. It just makes you feel warm and good that life exists.
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

yippeee!
        good for her
        Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

This was her first time, and mine at that. My wife had been a few times before, so she knew what to expect. Luckily we got a break from the heat as well, as it was just slightly overcast with a nice breeze.

Comment

Yup, definetly the type of story that makes you smile.

Congrats to Mel.
            Titanium is the new bling!
            (you heard from me first!)

Comment

obligatory feel good story for the day....tyvm jw
              Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

hahawwwww thats so adorable
                www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

GREAT!!

She most definitely is a doll. I'd be proud of her too.

GAWD I love the Special Olympics....their joy is so pure and so real, unlike many other athletes I could name

My wifes cousin John was a Special Olympian. He had cerebral palsy and mild mental handicap from a compressed umbilical cord when he was born breech.

Nevertheless he still graduated from High School, got a job, bought and paid for his own new car and apartment and is now running the laundry services for a major hospital in the area.

Let's just say that the family would not let him fail....and their high expectations translated into his having them for himself.

Ever since we got married John has been one of my favorite in-laws. He has a great sense of humor, mixed with a very good sense of irony, and is plain fun to hang out with.

The only problem is that he talks so much it's sometimes work to keep up with him

Never EVER underestimate these special kids.

Dr. Mordrid
                  Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 12 May 2005, 23:03.
                  Dr. Mordrid
                  ----------------------------
                  An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

gratz to both of ya
                    Flangor Strongaxe

Get Firefox

Comment

Cute!
                      Great story...

Jörg
                      pixar
                      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Gefelicislagroomtaart! How old is she? And will she run 50m or walk 25m next time or go for a double gold?
                        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Thanks for the comments everyone. Much Appreciated.

Originally posted by Umfriend
                          Gefelicislagroomtaart! How old is she? And will she run 50m or walk 25m next time or go for a double gold?
                          Melody is 8.5 years old and smaller than her now 6 year old brother. Next year we'd like to have her in the 50m run, like she was supposed to do this year.

Comment

Congrats Mel! Good to hear this turn out so well
                            Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Congrats to Melody!

Comment

Working...
                              X