PcAnywhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PcAnywhere

Anyone use PCAnywhere lately? I haven't used it since high school. I'm going to be setting up someone's machine to have remote control access, and file transfer.

I'm debating whether to use RAdmin/some FTP server or PCAnywhere. Didn't know if PCAnywhere was still good/secure.

Edit: This has to be Win98 compatible
    Last edited by Kooldino; 12 May 2005, 14:15.

Well, i use UltraVNC at home to RC my parents` laptop (LAN connection). Does the job. Tho i dont know how secure it is over the internet.
    Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

Yeah VNC works, I use it, but it's slower than say...RAdmin.

Comment

I use to use UltraVNC but it would frequently lock the server component leaving me unable to connect to whichever work machine until the next work day. This would even happen over a LAN. PCAnywhere always worked fine. If only it wasn't from Symantec.

Comment

What's wrong w/ it beinf rom Symantec?

How's the file transfer dealie on the latest versions of PCA?

Comment

There's nothing wrong with the product itself. It's just that Symantec in general likes to use product activation. I am not sure if they added that to their PCAnywhere line though.

Comment

RDesktop is fine if your boxes run XP, also most Linux distros come with RDesktop client.

Otherwise make sure to tighten security and give everything strong passwords.

Comment

Oh, one more clincher. This is going on a Win98 box.

Comment

TightVNC? Very stable and secure, but no file transfer - I use webmail for that to my server.
                  FT.

Comment

Citrix ICA. Might be a bit expensive though
                    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I use PCAnywhere quite a lot to dial into customers sites, works well enough although I prefer v10.x to the newer 11.x.
                      When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

In my experience, VNC is too slow.

@Taz - what's worse about v 11?

Comment

I seriously recommend ditching 98 as it's not nearly enough stable to guarantee uptime/availability or security for remote connections.

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU
                            I seriously recommend ditching 98 as it's not nearly enough stable to guarantee uptime/availability or security for remote connections.
                            That's not really an option at the moment, but he's going to transition into that in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
                              @Taz - what's worse about v 11?
                              They've changed the layout so there's this stupid panel down the left hand side You can switch it off but it's annoying having to do this every time. 10.x uses less screen real estate, which to my mind is always a good thing
                              When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Working...
                              X