Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Office Update: Can't find original disc...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Office Update: Can't find original disc...

So my new pet peeve is MS Office's update routines that REQUIRE the original disc. Lord only knows WHAT they require that's on the original disc, but you're screwed if you don't have it!

This is especially irksome if you've made a nice slipstreamed Office + Service packs disc, and then you try to use the online updater.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

And lo and behold, MS has realized that it sucks and now offers "full file updates" - updates which, while larger, don't require access to the original disc. Huzzah!
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

And, of course, Office 2003 has the option, when installed from the BASE discs (not from the nice slipstreamed ones) to copy all those pesky installation files to a cache on your hard disc... raising the space needed from several hundred megs to nearly a gigabyte. But oh, the CONVENIENCE!

Comment

I'm using Office 2000 on both my W2KAS box and XP Home. The XP machine complains a bit but I still am able to do simple things with it without trouble. I can't quite recall if I tried to update the XP box but I think I tried and it thumbed its nose at me.
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
          And, of course, Office 2003 has the option, when installed from the BASE discs (not from the nice slipstreamed ones) to copy all those pesky installation files to a cache on your hard disc... raising the space needed from several hundred megs to nearly a gigabyte. But oh, the CONVENIENCE!
          I always install from a share (either local or via network), saves me from finding the discs and is usually faster that a CD install.

I still wonder WHY you need the install discs, all the files you need are/should be installed already...

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
            So my new pet peeve is MS Office's update routines that REQUIRE the original disc. Lord only knows WHAT they require that's on the original disc, but you're screwed if you don't have it!

This is especially irksome if you've made a nice slipstreamed Office + Service packs disc, and then you try to use the online updater.
            You also used to be screwed if you wanted to uninstall Office and couldent find the CD
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
              You also used to be screwed if you wanted to uninstall Office and couldent find the CD

Well there always was the delete button.

If you had the CD it often left shit behind so you needed the office cleaner programme which still left some shit in the registry.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
              X