Possible to save my entire workspace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible to save my entire workspace?

I'm working on a web-accessed database project atm that needs email, 2 file browsers, FrontPage (sometimes x2), browser and MS Access all open at the same time, spread across my three monitors (3840 x 1024) on my Parhelia.

It would be great if I could easily open all the apps and place them with a click or two. Is there anyway of doing it? Unfortunately things get moved around between sessions.

TIA

T.
    FT.

It's called "hibernate".
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Well, yes it would be if MS made an OS that never needed restarting and everyone else made h/w that could be guaranteed to come out of hibernation everytime...
      FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone
        Well, yes it would be if MS made an OS that never needed restarting and everyone else made h/w that could be guaranteed to come out of hibernation everytime...
        I can't remember the last time I restarted XP. Seriously. It runs for weeks on end without so much as a blink. I always hear from all you people about how Windows needs to reboot all the time, but frankly I haven't had that happen in years now. Since I switched to Win2k, actually.

And all MY hardware comes out of hibernation. What do you have that doesn't? Suspend-to-disk isn't the same as sleep mode. 99.99% of hardware is just fine coming up from hibernate.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

I spend all day dipping in and out of various MS apps, and after a while start to get unexplained crashes and strange behaviours, which only a reboot fixes. Our XP service (with Office 2k3) isn't long out of the pilot phase, and tbh isn't as stable as win2k with Office 2k was.

As to power management, I'm thinking laptops sleeping mainly - often the pointing devices won't work fully, or the nics have problems. (desktop monitors will often not do anything above 60Hz either) True I haven't tried full hibernation unless the laptop battery has died, but I have to wonder how that will fare on a desktop at work in a domain with roaming profiles. Could be interesting to try, but that doesn't get away from my time/use related MS problems.
          FT.

Comment

Ditto for hibernation, I had no problem with it.

I have problems with Linux and standby but that's because it doesn't work with SMP systems. Linux restores your session by default though.

Comment

Let's see...a laptop with a VIA chipset and a Logitech mouse maybe?

Maybe you could have a look at exactly what you have and compare it with what works?

Comment

"Sleep" is different from "Hibernate". Sleep is suspend-to-RAM. Hibernate is suspend-to-DISC. Very different scenarios. Hibernate is relatively flawless, a few nasty pieces of hardware (none of which most of us own) aside.

Comment

Actually, my Kensington trackball doesn't come back after hibernate or standby when the latest drivers are used. They consider this a known issue, solved by using the previous driverversion.

Jörg
                  pixar
                  Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
                  X