• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Dual Core previews....

Anand:

Firing Squad:

Toms Hardware:

CPU reviews, news and features, created for the hardcore PC enthusiast by the experts at Tom's Hardware.

Sounds like an interesting summer

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Tech Report seems pretty interesting as well:

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Completely uninteresting at those prices

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az
        Completely uninteresting at those prices

AZ
        Yes, but all very new tech is expensive in the beginning. They let the enthusists and businesses soak up a big chunk of the R&D budget before dropping th price for consumers. By the holiday season I would expect to see the A62 X2 4200+ at around $250-$300, which wouldn't be bad.

Jammrock
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

check the one on hardocp.com, check out the multitasking benchmarks and look how much a single core P4 with HT beats the crap out of the 4000+
          Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
          Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Far Cry AMD64 Edition - A First Look at 64-bit Gaming

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=2411
            According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Blah, dual is sooo old these days (currently on dual p2 266 )

Comment

Originally posted by |Mehen|
                check the one on hardocp.com, check out the multitasking benchmarks and look how much a single core P4 with HT beats the crap out of the 4000+
                Ummmm .... is it just me or is EVERY multi-threaded application chosen for this review Pentium-biased?

Comment

I'm not talking about the multi-threaded apps, im talking about the actual multi-TASKING benchmarks, ie the CS:Source w/DivX Encode, CS:Source w/WMV Encode ones, where the 4000+ gets smoked by the 3.2GHz single core P4HT. Also, check out the "HyperThreading Vs. No HyperThreading" section on the next page.
                  Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                  Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Is the 4000+ not dualcore?

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere
                      Is the 4000+ not dualcore?
                      No. The X2 4200+ is.

Yes, but even with hyperthreading you can push the encode to one thread and CS to the other, so in effect it operates as a slower dual-core. The A64 is a pure single core, single threaded CPU. On top of that, the secondary tasks are ALL tasks that are typically optimized for Pentium-based processors ... namely video encoding. It's interesting that they ONLY chose encode for their multi-tasking w/ multi-apps tests.

Comment

So it's no surprise that single cpu is beaten by cpu that mimicks dual...

Comment

I wish AMD would have chosen better numbers...my 3800+ beats the 4200+ in most cases (or is at the same level). Even the FX55 is faster than the 4800+ often enough.

The 4800+ is the more interesting of the 2, but I guess they really need to get a 2.6GHz CPU out.

Opterons are another story entirely...(in good)

Comment

Yeah, now with so many different types of CPUs PR rating is obsolete...perhaps they should either introduce names completelly unrelated to clockspeed or revert back to it. The average consumer would still base their purchase on them, but so what - they wouldn't be that much ripped off I guess, since the CPUs with higher clockspeed will tend to be non-dual-core. And the perf would be plenty for them. The ones who need perf usually know the stuff enough (and anyway: I, for example, based my Duron 600 and Athlon XP 1700+ purchases more on features and price than clockpseed...probablt the same will be true with next upgrade)

Comment

I'm still waiting for a well designed water cooling system. To go with one or two of these.

Comment

Working...
                              X