Hdtv

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hdtv

Why do they bother making 1080i surely interlaced is only of benefit of CRT's. With LCD / Plasma, and the like why is the new standard not non interlaced.

The differences are between a true mathematical advantage for progressive and a psycho-sensual advantage for interlaced

This is because interlaced gives you more fields/second; 60 in the case of NTSC and 50 in the case of PAL. Due to the slowness of the eyes retinal response for most people this looks for all the world like 60 frames/second. Yes, it's an illusion but it's one most peope will see as higher perceived quality.

In other words: the math favors progressive when it comes to things like raw resolution, but interlaced is better suited to tricking the eye into seeing a smoother flow of images because of its higher perceived frame rate.

Untll someone puts out a 50/60 fps progressive video system interlaced is still better when it comes to the smooth perception of motion.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 May 2005, 13:11.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Or just go for the gusto at 1080p60.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

If you had the mis-fortune of trying to watch ABC's Monday Night Football in 720P HDTV you wouldn't be asking the question!

--wally.

Comment

Exactly

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

It there a similar problem with golf and tennis?

Comment

Of course, interlaced is a form of compression with a 2:1 ratio, but with a disadvantage of an apparent reduction of vertical resolution, typically perceived at about 30%. This is seen best (or worst!) with vertical movements such as tilting the camera or vertically scrolling titles. This is one reason why titling interlaced with serif characters often looks an unholy mess.
              Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Yes, but fortunately scrolling titles aren't in the "fun" part of the content....unless you're dealing with end-titles that have interesting out-takes (Cannonball Run, Wild Things etc.).

Besides: losing serif fonts isn't that big a sacrifice.

Dr. Mordrid
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Cannonball run... that was the one and only time that I wasn't the only one who stayed until the very last second. Tan tan taaah!!!
                  -Off the beaten path I reign-

At Home:

Asus P4P800-E Deluxe / P4-E 3.0Ghz
                  2 GB PC3200 DDR RAM
                  Matrox Parhelia 128
                  Terratec Cynergy 600 TV/Radio
                  Maxtor 80GB OS and Apps
                  Maxtor 300 GB for video
                  Plextor PX-755a DVD-R/W DL
                  Win XP Pro

At work:
                  Avid Newscutter Adrenaline.
                  Avid Unity Media Network.

Comment

You might be interested in various U.S. agencies' (DoD, DARPA, NASA, NIST) position on progressive scan video ... http://www.atd.net/HDTV_faq.html .

... the DoD standard does not support the production or generation of 1080 interlace scan for military operations because of its significant motion image impairment artifacts. ...
                    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Originally posted by xortam
                      You might be interested in various U.S. agencies' (DoD, DARPA, NASA, NIST) position on progressive scan video ... http://www.atd.net/HDTV_faq.html .
                      Actually, there are some doubtful statements in the article you cite. However, the most misleading thing is in the photos of the rolling ball. If you can see broad lines with black spaces at 540, they would also be visible, albeit more numerous, at 720. This is just faked. In any case, the important thing is not how maths perceive the different formats but how the eye does, with a variety of test scenes. This is akin to the MPEG-2 bitrate for DVD; how many times have people had problems by using a higher bitrate because bigger must be better?
                      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

More times than I can count.

Dr. Mordrid
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                        X