Outlook express issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook express issues

Hi Guys and Gals, The one and only problem that annoys the heck out of me right now is that when I open outlook express, the first email I read, takes forever to open, any one after that open immediately.

If I close OE then reopen it, again the first email I read or even create takes forever!!!
    I think this may apply to HTML based messages only.

Any ideas why this is behaving like this?

Thanks,
    Elie

Just because...it's OE?
    And why would you want to use OE anyway?

Comment

It's there, it works most of the time LOL, do you recommend anything else? And I don't like Netscape either

Regards,
      Elie

Comment

Well, it could just be that the first e-mail is initializing everything. Microsoft has this irritating tendency to try to boost load times by getting you to the initial screen quickly, and THEN loading everything else into memory after that.

Plus OE loads a TON of crap into memory. Outlook proper actually loads Word in order to read e-mails unless you turn that option off. OE loads Messenger, whether or not you use it. That could be it as well, you could be waiting for messenger - or God only knows what else - to load.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Elie
          It's there, it works most of the time LOL, do you recommend anything else? And I don't like Netscape either

Regards,
          Elie
          You mean also Thunderbird by that?

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere
            You mean also Thunderbird by that?
            Thunderbird is from Mozilla/Netscape. Everything from Mozilla/Netscape is a festering turd that blights the landscape for miles around. Downloading such programs makes you dumber every time you do it, by a set number of IQ points on a rolling scale.
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
              Downloading such programs makes you dumber every time you do it, by a set number of IQ points on a rolling scale.
              Uhmm...you mean using OE doesn't?!

Comment

Thunderbird is pretty nice I use it as my default mail client nowadays, fully open mailbox format, cross platform what do you want more and I don't care if it means I lose some IQ points .

Back on topic: Is Messenger loading together with OE this can cause slowdowns.
                Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere
                  Uhmm...you mean using OE doesn't?!
                  You don't have to download and install OE. Thus you can avoid its mind-alterning properties.

Comment

Hmm...but not the ones which come from using (to which I specifically pointed)

Comment

I know why there is a delay opening the first email after you first launch OE!!!!!!!!!

Just recently I installed a wack of fonts aprox 2000 of them, that's when I experienced the problem, you see... OE loads those fonts in memory which is why it takes litterally 5 seconds to open the first email.

Phew!!!

Regards,
                      Elie

Comment

You installed 2000 fonts? Err, no offense, but you`re crazy! I mean, i have 6000+ fonts, but i dont have more than ~100-200 installed at a time. Get some font management software (FontNav, Suitcase etc.) and install fonts as you need them, then uninstall them later.
                        Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

LOL, yes I am crazy, but this is my video editing system, and I use it alot for titling DVD menu craetion, so I need a vast amount of fonts available to choose from.
                          Sometime the client and I just sit there choosing the right font for his or her project.

I will try FontNav or Suitcase and see what happens, thanks alot

Comment

The point is that using a font manager you can look through your entire font catalogue without installing all the fonts, pick the one(s) you like, install them, and once you finish your project, you can just uninstall them.
                            Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

Thanks again OmegaRed, makes sense

Comment

Working...
                              X