Blair Wins Third term

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blair Wins Third term

The press are saying it's a bad result. At the moment a majority of 96 at the moment which considering Iraq is pretty good. After the dust has settled I think Tony will feel vindicated.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Hey, maybe he will claim a mandate!
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Comment

And the Tory Leader is stepping down.

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley
        Hey, maybe he will claim a mandate!
        Any given political leader can win by a single vote, and feel the need to claim a mandate.
        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasq
          Any given political leader can win by a single vote, and feel the need to claim a mandate.
          Ha! Here they can even lose by thousands of votes, and still claim a mandate!
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

At the risk of sending this to Temp, yet another liar who has sent people to their death in Iraq (cf. Berlusconi/Bush) for no reason at all, has been re-elected, even when the people he is supposed to represent did not want it. This anti-democratic demagogy has duped much of the UK voting public and Galloway had it right: "This defeat [Galloway defeated the Blairite candidate with a previous large majority] is for Iraq and the other defeats that New Labour has received this evening are for Iraq. All the people you have killed and all the loss of life have come back to haunt you and the best thing the Labour Party can do is sack you tomorrow morning.''. Amazing what a charismatic smile will do, defeating sound common sense. Although the moral victor of the elections was Kennedy, I regret that he had not succeeded to hang Parliament, although I suspect that the resultant coalition would have been Labour-Conservative rather than Labour-LibDem or Conservative-LibDem.

I would dearly love to see Blair resign immediately, but then I live in cloud-cuckoo land. He should do after seeing his majority slashed to less than 40% of what it was.
            Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

The British press (Times London) thinks that Blair will be around for only a couple of months then will be replaced by Gordon Brown.

After The Sunday Times ran an article on May 1 I was suprised that Blair won.

Comment

He won't go as he's still got to mark his place in History which is worrying. He's still got a large majority and basically he's got away with it. He'll do something stupid probably with Bush.

Sadly like Margerat T he's been in power to long and it's gone to his head like it did to hers. There should be max number of years a PM can serve. Four would be best.

Another change I would like to see if MP's being more local. If you're not local how do you know what the people need?
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Cmon.. you aren't naive enough to think they actually care what the people need..

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                    Cmon.. you aren't naive enough to think they actually care what the people need..
                    One or two may do. 99.9% are on a ego trip though.
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Lets try to be reasonable here. Blair got in for a third term not because of his smile but simply because of the strength of the economy. It didnt help that he had to reform serious problems left by the previous Tory cabinet (crime, NHS, schools) etc. I didnt like the war in Iraq and I didnt like his lies about it, but hopefully some good will come out of this in the middle east. Unless a gov make a real cockup and have to be removed, they need a minimum of 2-3 terms just to give these policies and reforms time to work. Its also about time Britains politicians were made accountable. Lets us have a true democracy with full accountability and decentralisation of local functions to local government.

For me, blair lost it with his arrogance and lack of his real commitment to environmental and defence policies. If we are going to remain a player on the international scene then lets fund our forces properly. We were also supposed to be taking the lead in environmental issues. WTF happened here. Our GHG emmisions have gone up, there is no real alternative energy proposal, no real recycling and no real awareness campaigns. Their transport policy is in a mess simply becuase of their stupid belief in cars.

The real shame wasnt that Blair received a 3rd term or that he will be replaced by Brown or that the Tories were a complete waste of space (I beg anyone to prove otherwise) but simply the real lack of political discussion that is really needed. We had a real dumming down of politics

MD
                      Interests include:
                      Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

Originally posted by mdhome
                        If we are going to remain a player on the international scene then lets fund our forces properly
                        MD
                        So we can beat the crap out of anyone who opposes us.

Breezer
                        Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

Partly that and partly to stop them from beating the crap out of us.
                          Interests include:
                          Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

Working...
                          X