TheStoryCenter, help and self-pimpage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheStoryCenter, help and self-pimpage

I've mentioned this on the boards before when looking for an eBook format, but I've finally got my beta version of Jammrock's Story Center (J.SC) up on my website. Either above link will take you to the same place. In the main menu area to the left is "TheStoryCenter" link, which brings up a submenu with 2-4 options (2 if a guest, 4 if you are a logged in as a member).

I am looking for opinions and ideas to improve the design and features of J.SC. I've been working on this idea for a long time, and hope to do something big with this project in the future. I've looked around the net quite a bit and I've found that no other website offers what I'm going to do ... at least not for free and in an easy to use format.

Some specific questions that I'm seeking opinions on are:

-Would it be helpful to add a 'story length' feature? It would allow people to narrow down their search criteria even further, but is it feature you would want, or would it be a waste of query time? Examples would be: novel, novella, novellete, short story, etc.

-Do you like the idea of a warning system? I will post some content on the site later today that gives more detail about the warning system, but if you read through the 'Guidelines' link on the home page you will get the basic idea of what it's all about.

-Is the genre break-down (you can see the genre and warning breakdown by going to 'Story Finder' and scrolling through the lists) intuative and well organized? I've made it so stories don't have to fit into specific mold and can be cross genre, and hopefully make it easier to find what you're looking for when searching and submitting.

-Do you like the idea of making genre and warning 'quick codes' (the codes are in () next to the genre/warning in the lists)? It's designed save space and make scanning through lists of stories easier.

That just about covers it. I would greatly appreciate anyone's input. Two final comments: 1) the graphics and layout are still in rough form, I will clean them up in the near future, 2) 'Will destroy evil empires for food...' (so far the only submission, and my own work) is NOT complete, only about 10% done - I just needed something to test post with - but you are welcome to read what's there and give your opinions on it either here or there.

Thanks a million,

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Personally I thought the Genre's were a bit too subdivided, whilst the rating system was about right.
    Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Originally posted by RichL
      Personally I thought the Genre's were a bit too subdivided, whilst the rating system was about right.
      Do you mean the actual break-up of genre's, or the way it is presented? Or both? I want to, hopefully in the near future, break up the large scroll menu with a set of two drop down boxes. The first box would be the core-genre. Once the core-genre was picked a genre menu would pop up and you would only see the genre's associated with that specific core-genre.

Would that system help with the clutter?

Thanks, Jammrock

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
        Do you mean the actual break-up of genre's, or the way it is presented? Or both? I want to, hopefully in the near future, break up the large scroll menu with a set of two drop down boxes. The first box would be the core-genre. Once the core-genre was picked a genre menu would pop up and you would only see the genre's associated with that specific core-genre.

Would that system help with the clutter?

Thanks, Jammrock
        Actually I did find the presentation of the genre list cluttered, but I'd assumed it's because its not fully finished and I'm running Firefox at high-res with large fonts which tends to make stuff look funny anyway.

I'm not sure how you plan on indexing stuff, but IMHO putting stories into ever more specific pidgeonholes is going to make it difficult to find things.
        If it was me, I'd use the Genre for more of a Keyword Search rather than a fixed Genre & Subgenre tree.
        It'd make it easier for stories to cross more than one genre and stop the really really oddball stuff from getting lost. (I've been on Fanfiction.Net, I've seen some of the weird stuff that people write!)

Eg : if you had a search function where you selected say three genres / keywords and put in Sci-Fi, Horror and Fan-Fic, you could pull up an Aliens Fan-Fic.
        Or Drama + Historical + Manga, Comedy + Adult + Biography or any combination.
        Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Even with the double drop-down you'd be able to use multiple genre's. There would be an Add button, and you'd form a list of genre's that the story applies to. The core-genre idea was just for organizations sake.

Comment

Hey Jam

I like your novel so far, especially the dialogue
            FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone
              Hey Jam

I like your novel so far, especially the dialogue
              Thanks! Touched up some of it last night. I'll hopefully get back to writing new material for it soon

Comment

Working...
              X