DSL connection problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSL connection problem

Since a few weeks my dsl connection is broken down automatically every several hours. Only a reboot makes the reconnection again possible. How can I solve this problem?

Note: He is using a PPPoE connection.

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

what PPPoE client are you using?
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Consider a router/firewall with a PPPoE client in the firmware if you don't have one already.
        I like Linksys.
        My Dad had these problems and so I gave him my old router when I went wireless.
        Fixed him right up.
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by az
          Note: He is using a PPPoE connection.

AZ
          Thanks, AZ. Which DSL provider did you take? Don' t you have this problem? I have TDSL+Freenet (gonna change to something else).

Technoid: I don't know. It must be something very normal, I think.

I thought it may have something to do with that provider trying decline flatrate connection or so. Earlier it happened only once every 24 hours. It was OK. But now very irregularly. Maybe there are some tiny clever tools that can keep the connection alive.

Comment

I was using T-DSL and T-Online with nearly zero problems. Have switched to Arcor though, because I can have ISDN, 2mbit flatrate and all phonecalls to german phone numbers (excluding mobile and special numbers such as 0180 etc.) for 60 EUR. Have absolutely no problems with them either (only my router hangs every few days). They are overwhelmed by the response to this offer though, so they're very slow to transfer you from Telekom to them.

AZ

Comment

PPPoE can be a pain depending on how they have it configured.

For example, when I lived in Pennsylvania, the PPPoE was set up such that it REQUIRED that you limit Windows' maximum MTU by about 100 bytes. If you didn't do so, it would just randomly crap out with no warning.

PPPoE sucks. It's just plain wrong, as far as I'm concerned. But that said, there are ways around it.

1. Use RASPPPoE. It's the ONLY Windows client worth a damn.

2. Use a hardware PPPoE implementation, that's even better. No need to clutter up your PC with those drivers.

3. Pray. And have your connection checked. Sometimes it's line noise.
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Bull. Use either the WinXP standard PPPoE driver or cfos, the best PPPoE driver there is (even with working traffic shaping).

Are you using a router or the Telekom standard modem?

AZ

Comment

Originally posted by chaoliang
                  Since a few weeks my dsl connection is broken down automatically every several hours. Only a reboot makes the reconnection again possible. How can I solve this problem?
                  What is "broken down?" What if you release/renew your DHCP info?

Is your IP changing? Are your DNS servers changing?
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by az
                    Bull. Use either the WinXP standard PPPoE driver or cfos, the best PPPoE driver there is (even with working traffic shaping).

Are you using a router or the Telekom standard modem?

AZ
                    The WinXP standard PPPoE doesn't allow you to change the MTU. Oopsie!
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

AZ: I've no router yet and I'm using the Telekom DSL modem.

Wombat: They just cut the connection and throw me out. If I redial, the server won't response until I reboot. I didn't check if they changed my IP. DNS server is not configured by me, I think. I don't know how to renew DHCP info.

Comment

AZ: I've no router yet and I'm using the Telekom DSL modem.

Wombat: They just cut the connection and throw me out. If I redial, the server won't response until I reboot. I didn't check if they changed my IP. DNS server is not configured by me, I think. I don't know how to renew DHCP info.
                        Try from a command window
                        Code:
                        ipconfig /all
                        ipconfig /release
                        ipconfig /renew 
                        ipconfig /all
                        That will also get you new DNS servers, which are almost certainly sent with the DHCP lease info.
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I am pretty sure there was a way (either some built-in or some small utility) to change the MTU for the standard PPPoE driver.

AZ

Comment

Thanks, Wombat. I'll try it.

Comment

They've started disconnecting automatically users of the low-end ADSL here too. The easy solution is to switch to a USB modem. The other easy solution is to have a router.

At home I have a router, the first time I try to connect I get the IE message box telling me it can't connect and asking for either a retry or to go offline, I just press retry and all is well (that's with a crapola Billion router).

Another brand of router might solve that problem. I haven't gotten around to replacing this router with a Linksys WAP yet, but the boxes are there...

Comment

Working...
                              X