Off to Scotland then England Monday.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off to Scotland then England Monday.

This Monday my son and I will be heading out for Scotland then England for two weeks! His school setup a Harry Potter kind of thing where we will be visiting some of the sites that are in the book and movies. I don’t know what motels we will be staying at when we get to London, and I don’t know where in Scotland we will be at, but if I can, it would be nice to hookup with MURC’s that are in the area.

Also I have a question, OK I’m a smoker, where will I be able to perform my habit? What are smokes going for over there? What’s the best kind to get? Man I’m having an nicotine fit just thinking about the flight over and if Ill be able to smoke when we get there! Oboy was put into jail for having a smoke in the airplane! (D smoke detectors anyway)

Thanks Mark
    Time to make the wafers!
    Oboy Inside!

intel P4 2.26 @ 2.957Ghz

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of
    jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow."

I recommend buying slugs (for chewing, micro glass bags that you really don't chew) for the flight.

Comment

Hmm he's going to Scotland, not France.

Comment

Originally posted by Oboy
        This Monday my son and I will be heading out for Scotland then England for two weeks! His school setup a Harry Potter kind of thing where we will be visiting some of the sites that are in the book and movies. I don’t know what motels we will be staying at when we get to London, and I don’t know where in Scotland we will be at, but if I can, it would be nice to hookup with MURC’s that are in the area.

Also I have a question, OK I’m a smoker, where will I be able to perform my habit? What are smokes going for over there? What’s the best kind to get? Man I’m having an nicotine fit just thinking about the flight over and if Ill be able to smoke when we get there! Oboy was put into jail for having a smoke in the airplane! (D smoke detectors anyway)

Thanks Mark
        try being on a plane from Miami to Tokyo without smoking! and drinking wont help it makes you want to smoke. I'm sure the country is open to smoking :P DONT PANIC!
        www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

In Ireland (I think also Italian restaurants) smoking is banned in pubs, otherwise in Europe generally we're not at USA level where they fine you for having an ashtray in the office.

Comment

Sadly smoking is still allowed in many places in the UK (/me ducks )

Packs of 20 will cost about $9-$10.

Please bring a crate of patches with you and don't polute my country any more than it already is

The obvious buildings (hospitals, libraries) etc don't allow it, and most restaurants have non-smoking areas, but most pubs are smoker-friendly.

Personally I think having a non-smoking section in a bar/restaurant is a bit like having a non-peeing section in a swimming pool
            FT.

Comment

You can smoke in most pubs and restaurants without a problem. Cigs are VERY expensive (£5 per pack of 20 Marlboro lights) so pick some duty-frees up at the airport on the way over.

Interestingly, in London the assumption when you go to a restaurant is that you are a smoker - if you aren't, you have to ask for a non-smoking table. The reverse applies in most of the rest of the country.

You can't smoke in McDonalds, but you can in (some? all? not sure haven't been there in ages) Burger King...

And no, you won't be able to smoke in the plane.

Rental cars don't usually specify re. smoking, so feel free to go ahead if you need to.

Trains: some train lines (eg GNER) have a smoking carraige at one end (usually coach A or B), some (eg Great Western, local commuter lines) don't.

Anything else, just ask
              DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Besides the certainty of degrading your health with every drag you take, has anyone else figured out why smoking is a bad thing? Look at you guys cringing at the very thought of having to go 6-7 hours without a cigarette. It dominates your whole life. You are the absolute slave of tobacco. You would probably choose having a smoke over spending time with your kids.. not the higher brain functions, but the weak body that lets your lives be dominated by it. It certainly affects them in ways you do not imagine.

I have never smoked, and never will. My mother did though, so I've seen this close up. Every day I would wake up with the covers pulled over my head to filter out the stench of her smoking in the house. My stomach was upset constantly from just the smell, even the lingering raunch did this, and my parents were utterly oblivious to my suffering, thinking I was making it all up. It is a rift that never healed. Watching her die slowly from lung cancer that metastisized into her brain was not any fun, either. If it were within my power to do anything about them, no tobacco company would withstand my wrath. It is a plague on society and everyone in it.

Comment

Always find it interesting when chain smokers can suddenly give and never have a problem over it.

I forgot you may find in some pubs you're not allowed to smoke at the bar for legal reasons.
                  Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

KvH

Do I gather you don't smoke?

As an ex-3-pack-a-day man (I gave it up 35 years ago, cold turkey), I don't particularly like people smoking very close to me, but I'm not anti-smoking per se. However, I do not like tobacco being smoked in restaurants, when I'm eating. This is a problem here, because most of the adult population smoke like chimneys on this island. However, as most restaurants do not fill up before 2030 or 2100, we tend to go at 1930, before the air gets too thick.

The new EU Commissioner for Health is trying to get a Directive passed forbidding smoking in all public places in the EU - and he is an ex-smoking Cypriot!
                    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
                      KvH

Do I gather you don't smoke?

As an ex-3-pack-a-day man (I gave it up 35 years ago, cold turkey), I don't particularly like people smoking very close to me, but I'm not anti-smoking per se. However, I do not like tobacco being smoked in restaurants, when I'm eating. This is a problem here, because most of the adult population smoke like chimneys on this island. However, as most restaurants do not fill up before 2030 or 2100, we tend to go at 1930, before the air gets too thick.

The new EU Commissioner for Health is trying to get a Directive passed forbidding smoking in all public places in the EU - and he is an ex-smoking Cypriot!
                      I wonder how they're going to enforce it.
                      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Well the main reason I posted was to see if I could hook up with some of you UK MURC’ers when I’m there. So to that end I will post where in London we will be staying at, when I find out. They changed the motel and I didn’t get the notice on which one we will be at. It’s near the center of London. I have no clue where we will be staying at when we are in Glasgow.

Mark AKA Oboy
                        Time to make the wafers!
                        Oboy Inside!

intel P4 2.26 @ 2.957Ghz

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of
                        jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow."

Comment

Neato - drop me a line when you're in London - I work pretty centrally (Waterloo) so we can hook up for a drink

Comment

Originally posted by GNEP
                            Neato - drop me a line when you're in London - I work pretty centrally (Waterloo) so we can hook up for a drink
                            And a fag
                            FT.

Comment

I didn't know you swung both ways Tony

Comment

Working...
                              X