CD-RW works, CD-R does not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD-RW works, CD-R does not

I have tested some VCD video clips by burning them on CD-RW with an HP 9200i. They played just fine on TV using a Sony DVD player.
    So I burned the clips on a CD-R and created a coaster: the CD-R does not play in the Sony DVD player. "No disk" is the DVD player comment. Strangely enough, it plays well using the PC DVD and software. Go figure.

I always thought that CD-RWs are more of a headache, now it is the other way round ;(

------------------
    Harald
    Harald

The difference is often just a matter of reflectivity.

CDRW's are mostly silver or silver-blue with 75-90% reflectivity.

CDR's are often dyed darker colors (green, blue, black etc.) with only 50-60% reflectivity.

Older DVD decks cannot "see" disks with 50-60% reflectivity. CDR compatable decks have more sensitive detectors.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 04 April 2001).]

Comment

Doc,

My CD-Rs are silver-silver.

I am pretty sure that it also has to do with the burning software. As mentioned in another thread, I have not yet been able to burn successfully with Nero. I.e., even the CD-RW that plays well when burned with EZ CD does not play (is not recognized) when burned with Nero. Everything else the same.

------------------
      Harald
      Harald

Comment

Nothing to do with the burning software assuming you've created each disk the same and they are in the correct VCD or SVCD format.

Make an audio CD on each media. I predict the CD-RW will play in your DVD player, the CD-R one won't. Try them in your car or other audio CD player -- the situation will be reversed.

"visible" color also has little to do with it. What counts is the albedo at the specific laser wavelength.

Comment

Hapz,
          I have the same problem with VCD/XVCD on my Sony 725D. Actually, -IMHO- it's a matter of CD-R reflectivity ; so far i have tested many brands and the only one that played was a PRINCO silver/blue (marked x2x4x8). All tests were made using the same video-clip(TMPeng encoded, VBR quality 100), burning software was NERO 5.0.3.8 and the recorder was a YAMAHA 4416 (burning speed x4). However, lately i got a "NO DISK" message using a new PRINCO (x2x4x8x12 and i don't know if it's CD-R related or if it's the different mpeg encoding i used for(CBR 2500kbit)??? (still testing).
          I have never had problems with CD-RW disks.
          For user comments on CD-R compatibilty with DVDs have a look at http://www.vcdhelper.com/dvdplayers.php

Which is the brand of the silver/silver CD-Rs that you use?

------------------
          mits
          mits,
          System specs: primary : Asus P5B Dlx/Wifi, C2Duo E6600 with thermalright 120 and 120mm Scythe S-Flex
          model E, 2 Gb Ram Kingston HyperX PC6400, MSI RX1950Pro with ViVo, 2 * WD3200AAKS, Sound Blaster Audigy ES, NIC onborad, IEE1394 TI onboard, dvd-rw Nec/Sony Optiarc AD-7173A, dvd-rom Pioneer 106-s, Win XP SP2. Secondary : Asus P4B266-E, P4 2GHz (Northwood), ram 512 MB DDR400 , 2*80 Maxtor, vga asus 9600XT with vivo, sound card c-media 8738 onboard, NIC D-Link 538TX, dvd-rw sony dru500AX, cd-rw yamaha 2100E, Win2k SP4.

Comment

Hi,

Afraid it's nothing to do with burning software... the newer Sony DVD player won't play CDR's.

It confused the hell out of me. I tested a CDR on a Sony 515 and it worked perfectly, but the newer ones... 525, etc aren't dual laser.

http://www.vcdhelper.com/ is a site that deals with comaptibility problem of CDR's and DVD players.

Regards,

Nick.

Comment

Ok, it seems that my Sony DVD player does not play CD-Rs ;( At least based on the vcdhelper list.

I did some more testing, and here is what I came up with:

Sony S570D (TV) Creative DVD (PC)
              w/ software DVD players
              (Power DVD & Matrox DVD)

EZ CD CD-RW ok ok
              CD-R not recognized ok

Nero CD-RW not recognized not recognized
              CD-R not recognized not recognized

Click'N Burn
              CD-RW ok error message or no play
              CD-R not recognized error message or no play

None of the CDs burned with Nero play. They are also not recognized by the OS, software players, or the Sony player Strangely enough so, all three burning software packages were able to list the seemingly correct track information. That applies also to the other non-playing CDs burned with the other packages.

Looking at the results, I must conclude that software has an impact on the outcome. It is not just the CD material, or the DVD player.

Why, is a different story.....

------------------
              Harald
              Harald

Comment

Sorry, but the table did not come through the way it was intended ;(

Here is another attempt:

Sony S570D (TV) Creative DVD (PC)
                w/ software DVD players
                (Power DVD & Matrox DVD)

EZ CD
                CD-RW ok ok
                CD-R not recognized ok

Nero
                CD-RW not recognized not recognized
                CD-R not recognized not recognized

Click'N Burn
                CD-RW ok error message or no play
                CD-R not recognized error message or no play

------------------
                Harald
                Harald

Comment

Hmmm, something is swallowing tabs and even spaces.

On Sony S570D (TV)

with
                  EZ CD
                  CD-RW ok
                  CD-R not recognized

Nero
                  CD-RW not recognized
                  CD-R not recognized

Click'N Burn
                  CD-RW ok
                  CD-R not recognized

On Creative DVD (PC)
                  w/ software DVD players
                  (Power DVD & Matrox DVD)

with
                  EZ CD
                  CD-RW ok
                  CD-R ok

Nero
                  CD-RW not recognized
                  CD-R not recognized

Click'N Burn
                  CD-RW error message (Power DVD) or no play (Matrox DVD player)
                  CD-R error message or no play

------------------
                  Harald
                  Harald

Comment

FYI, I got the Nero problem resolved. Nero finally came through with a suggestion that worked: "Set Disk at once."

At least now I can play SVCD with CD-RW

I am looking forward to see how this works in Europe next week. I created a set of VCDs and SVCDs in PAL.

------------------
                    Harald
                    Harald

Comment

Working...
                    X