Dell undercutting Cisco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell undercutting Cisco

Dell, in an attempt to get small/medium sized business to buy better networking equipment has dropped their Netconnect Gb switches. A 24-port unmanaged/managed (IT can pick which one they use) runs a whopping ...

$418!!!!

Holy ****!

$318 for 16-port and $218 for 8-port.

Dell provides technology solutions, services & support. Buy Laptops, Touch Screen PCs, Desktops, Servers, Storage, Monitors, Gaming & Accessories

Weren't 8-port workgroup switches just $500 last year?

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Everybody undercuts Cisco. It's not uncommon for our competitors to give away free equipment to win their business.

Also, that switch doesn't have nearly the amount of features Cisco offers for a similar product. Support is another huge area. Nobody can compete with Cisco for support.
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Don't expect any support or services if anything goes wrong with the Dell switch.

Comment

Sure you'd get support ... from India
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Isn't that worse than getting no support though?

Comment

To be fair,w e also have support in India...and Japan and Australia, and America and...

Another thing I'd like to mention is, I've spoken with people from India for various support reasons and I've been fairly impressed actually. I had a problem with Quicken, called support and this nice Indian lady walked me through my problem and knew exactly what was going on. I was shocked. This was first ine support too!
            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I've been dealing with HP's first-level support, which appears to be out of India. They were useless ... very polite and professional mind you but useless. The level-two tech didn't have an Indian accent so I assume he was stateside.
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Well if your a major business, Dell offers US based tech support. I know I get US based support when I call for a problem..they all have southern accents
                Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
                  Nobody can compete with Cisco for support.
                  Support which you have to pay through the nose for. Support where you can't even GET firmware without a support contract. Support where you can't get a support contract if you buy the equipment used (unless you pretty much pay for the switch again).
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                    Oh, but if you have an enterprise support contract, you'll get someone from Texas. They'll work with you for a few days to reproduce the problem in their lab, then they'll say:

"Yup, there a bug in the firmware and/or driver. I'll forward the case to engineering."

Then you'll wait six months until they finally reply:

"This product is discontinued, we recommend you purchase the newer version."

This is very often the case, since Dell doesn't actually build very many of their products themselves. It's all just rebadged crap from other companies.
                    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                      Support which you have to pay through the nose for. Support where you can't even GET firmware without a support contract. Support where you can't get a support contract if you buy the equipment used (unless you pretty much pay for the switch again).
                      Well, I have to admit, I don't know how all of that works. But I do know that if you call into TAC, the first thing they do is ask for a support contract so I am sure most of what you say is true. This is what Linksys is for

Comment

Originally posted by GT98
                        I know I get US based support when I call for a problem..they all have southern accents
                        Or so you think : To disguise the fact the callcentre is actually in India, they teach their staff to speak with accents by watching lots of English language movies and tv programs.

You probably got through to someone who'd been taught English during John Wayne season.
                        Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Kinda like those Dutch/Germans with British accents from watching the BBC?

Comment

In Europe Brittish is taught in schools. We had conversation teacher from London (although we had 2 expatriates from USA previously).

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                              When I was doing tech support for Dell Canada French, (that was in the first days of the India switch) I got english customers begging and pleading for me to help them just because I knew what I was talking about but I had to refuse cause it was reserved for french speaking cusotmers only, I felt bad doing that cause I knew what kind of support they were being given. I also remember the city of Toronto cancelling an order for 50 000 desktop units because of the switch and many of my friends and collegues losing their jobs cause of the switch.
                              Titanium is the new bling!
                              (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Working...
                              X