Holy Bible!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy Bible!

According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Hehehe....

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

In response to the Evolution stickers on books in Georgia, no doubt
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
        In response to the Evolution stickers on books in Georgia, no doubt
        What was that about?
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

In some places in Georga the biology textbooks had a sticker stating that evolution is a theory and not an established fact. This on order from local school boards that were overpopulated with fundamentalists.

Some fundamentalists are, I guess, uncomfortable with the idea that God may have actually used evolition as a tool rather than creating life forms directly as they believe.

These people are a small, but very vocal, group of Christians not unlike the ultra-orthodox Jews or Muslims that cause consternation to their fellows.

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend
            What was that about?
            SOme school district outside Atlanta, GA (heart of the Bible Belt) started putting stickers on science/biology text books that said:
            This book contains material on evolution. Evolution is a theory, not a fact, regarding the origin of living things. This material should be approached with an open mind, studied carefully, and critically considered.
            Normally most people wouldn't care about it, but there are obvious religious undertones to the message and the reason why the stickers were put on the book. And so there was a huge stink about it and some lawsuits. Eventually a judge told them to remove the stickers and that was that.

Jammrock

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
              not unlike the ultra-orthodox Jews
              Trust me, you don't want to try those..
              Somewhere in the Talmud/Gmarrah or whatever, it says it's ok to kill lice on saturday as this creature doesn't reproduce like 'living things' do.
              Since then, modern age science discovered otherwise, yet the rabbis can't admit that the great elders were wrong. So they use the following excuse: "The world has changed", you see, it was true at their time, but reality has somehow 'shifted'.
              "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Originally posted by TransformX
                ...So they use the following excuse: "The world has changed", you see, it was true at their time, but reality has somehow 'shifted'.
                That doesn't sound nearly as bad to me as maintaining, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, that the world was put in place 3,000 years ago and, except for one giant flood, hasn’t changed a bit since.
                AND, that the power of government should be used to promote the idea.
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

KvH is conspicuously absent from this thread. I await with bated breath ...
                  <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I guess my position on this will be clear to most already, but I have to say that
                    evolution is a theory and not an established fact.
                    is actually true. It happens to be the best theory around to the extent that it explains some of the things we observe, but it is still just a theory. I think it would be a good idea to teach this as one and the creationist version as another and then compare how well they explain things.
                    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

What? They don't teach theory in school?
                      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

What's "theory?" I thought everything they taught in school is 100% hard fact?!

Comment

Originally posted by Jon P. Inghram
                          Of course it is And the media never lies, either.

Comment

Originally posted by xortam
                            KvH is conspicuously absent from this thread. I await with bated breath ...
                            LOL @ the things he might say...
                            P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Originally posted by Jon P. Inghram
                              Yep, that is why back in 1997 (AT UNIVERSITY!) we were thought that 100 Mbps network over UTP is not possible , even thought there were such networks at the same university...

(Ok, it is not the sameas the bible thingy)
                              (the professor retired the year after....)

Jörg
                              pixar
                              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
                              X