Gates the meddler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gates the meddler

Eventually, Gates said, there could be a car that wouldn't let itself crash.
    Wouldn't it be a good idea if he managed to make a software, his core business, that wouldn't let itself crash, before he started meddling in other sectors?

I bet Ford's stock took a tumbling when this was announced
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
    Wouldn't it be a good idea if he managed to make a software, his core business, that wouldn't let itself crash, before he started meddling in other sectors?

I bet Ford's stock took a tumbling when this was announced
    I bet it didn't.
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

I wonder whether the car would self-destroy rather than let itself crash?

Comment

Originally posted by schmosef

I bet it didn't.
        I bet it did, but not because of the announcement.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt
          I wonder whether the car would self-destroy rather than let itself crash?
          Fords (aka: Found On the Road Dead) can do that without any meddling from the computer industry, and most of all Gates. The problem is Fords do it while still in the driveway waiting to be driven

Can you even imagine how "reliable" a car would be that ran Windows??

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

BMT 745 uses windows... They had some 'interesting' problems with the line, like suddenly breaking (hard) on highways..
            "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

The main problem I see with this concept, Windows aside, is cost. Imagine what the cost of the sensory equipment would be? You'd have to be Bill Gates to even afford it. And the processing power needed to compute "on-the-fly" collision avoidance algorythms? And then you would need a very high speed, very complex wirelss communications scheme for cars to communicate with each others to avoid cars beyond sensory range or not in "avoidance" mode.

Not a chance this will happen any time soon unless some HUGE breakthrough occurs.

Jammrock
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

A much different take and tone on an automotive related website to this:

Seems like doing stupid simple stuff like using your PDA to load your trips into a Navagtion system thats in your car...I dont see much talk about Buck Rodgers stuff happening any time soon...
                Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Working...
                X