Doh and Doh and more Doh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doh and Doh and more Doh

Upgrade time all goes well until I notice that the PSU doesn't have the correct power socket 20 pin rather than 24pin. Doh.

At least the case got another clean out and with a slide out tray it doesn't take long to put things back.

Everything back and no display. The lights are on but no ones home. Spent ages and ages then suddenly remembered the orginal usb keyboard adaptor broke and I was using the mouse one which of course was in the wrong socket. Doh I've done the same before but noticed striaght away.

Next mixed up which Hard drive was which so no boot device. Swapped them round knocked the power cable off without noticing. The connector had fallen behind the rest of the cables. Why wasn't my hard rive spinning up Doh.

Machine boots but the new memory doesn't like the old and runs at 166mhz rather 200mhz or it's a motherboard limitation. Doh.

Back to working and ordered a new power supply which won't come until next Wednesday. Doh.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Doheth!

Comment

You don't always need to change the PSU to accomodate the 24pin connector.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt
        You don't always need to change the PSU to accomodate the 24pin connector.

You'll wind up killing the Mobo or PS after awhile...I ran into the same problem with my ASUS board
        Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Originally posted by GT98
          You'll wind up killing the Mobo or PS after awhile...I ran into the same problem with my ASUS board
          And the final doh is that I should have remembered your post on this which I did as soon as I looked at the power connector more closely.

My excuse I had busy week.
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

what did you upgrade to TP?

Comment

Originally posted by GT98
              I said "not always", didn't mean "never".

It all depends what equipment you use (el cheapo doesn't even qualify for "equipment").

Comment

Does it do any good to use a 20 to 24 pin adapter instead of using only 20 pins with a ATX II board ?

Comment

No, except that it will keep the connector attached to the motherboard (usually the clips don't coincide).

Comment

Originally posted by ayoub_ibrahim
                    what did you upgrade to TP?
                    Athlon 4000 Asus A8n-SLI. ATI X850 XT PE. SLI to keep my options open in future.

I suppose the delay means I can think about either doing a sysprep or bunging the hard drive on an controller card and then loading the Nvidea drivers.
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                    X