• Show
Clear All

• Maiden flight of Super Jumbo

Bravo, Airbus!
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Excellent!
    Fully CAD engineered! Absolutly amazing

Comment

That was interesting.. looks kinda like a pilot whale or a big cargo jet.

Comment

1 bln over budget, sterling that is. Wonder what the margin is on a plane like that.
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

1 billion or 1 milliard £ ?

Comment

1 bln = een miljard sterling
            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

It does look a bit bigger than what I'm learning on...

First reports say that it behaved just like the flight simulator. Great piece of engineering just to predict how a thing like that behaves in reality.

Jörg
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend
                1 bln = een miljard sterling
                1 bln = duizend miljard sterling (tenminste, buiten de VS)

Comment

Someone from Airbus said they have to sell over 250 to break even.

Great engineering feat, however personally I'd rather not get on it. It just carries way too many people, and you can be assured the airline industry will use the higher capacity configurations to squish more in.

Comment

If I were a terrorist, I would look at this thing with the same lust as a fisherman looks at the biggest fish in the sea.. One of these puppies is gonna go down.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                      If I were a terrorist, I would look at this thing with the same lust as a fisherman looks at the biggest fish in the sea.. One of these puppies is gonna go down.
                      Passenger Capacity Max: 840
                      Titanium is the new bling!
                      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                        You know ... that was my first reaction as well.
                        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Plus Boeing has bet that airlines are going to move away from the hub and spoke model.
                          They don't have a reputation for betting wrong too often.
                          Thus the 787 Dreamliner.
                          The A380 is the ultimate hub to hub aircraft.
                          Chuck
                          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Yup....if one of those goes down it'll probably set a record for fatalities in a single aircraft. Not exactly what the PR department is looking for

I agree with cjolley's assessment: that plane was designed for a different time.

The hub and spoke model it was designed for is proving to be a failure in the current environment, and an aircraft like the A380 that is targeted to that business model could well go down with it. As a point to point aircraft the Dreamliner is a much better proposition.

The A380 may well have sucess as a cargo craft. I'm sure a version with a hinged nose and tail ramp is high on the Airbus list of things to do, if for no other reason as a hedge on their passenger bet.

Dr. Mordrid
                            Dr. Mordrid
                            ----------------------------
                            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                              I agree with cjolley's assessment...

Dr. Mordrid
                              I'm going to have that framed.
                              Chuck
                              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                              X