Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• simultaneous users in xp?

Hello,

A simple question: is it possible to work with 2 people simultaneously on an XP Professional (one person locally, the other via a remote desktop connection)? And for Windows 2000?

If not, are there "workarounds"?
    Third party software?

Jörg
    Last edited by VJ; 26 April 2005, 07:10.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

not out of box. the server products of both allow it to some extent through Terminal Services.

HOWEVER.

early in the XP SP2 beta they messed up their compile options and had support for it enabled. if you can find a copy of the dll responsible (google should work) you may be able to get it to work.
    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

It's limited because they want you to buy terminal server. When using remote desktop, the current user gets logged off and is greeted by welcome screen.

Comment

Remote Assistance might work for you.
        I think you can pass control back and forth between the remote and local users.
        But it is just one logon and not really simultaneous users
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

why not pcanywhere? 2 can be on the same PC, just one "needs" mouse control
          Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

MS has some pretty specific ideas of what a "workstation" is and what a "server" is, that are pretty contradictory to what *nix has always promoted.

So there is no neat way to do what you want, although it wouldn't surprise me if there was some third-party app for it.
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

i already posted how you can do it.

One thing i am very annoyed about with SP2 is why they have added (in build 2055) and then taken away in the final Build (2180) Concurrent remote dektop and a physical user logged into the same machine.... so if you are now running the SP2 final, and would like too use this feature.. heres...
              "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Not working for me. Verified that the correct file and registry key are there ... but still no go I'll play with it a bit more.
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

There are third party solutions for this, even for two users with two keyboard and mice working on one PC, but I have forgotten any names...

AZ
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I'll try the dll thingy first...

Jörg
                    pixar

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                      Not working for me. Verified that the correct file and registry key are there ... but still no go I'll play with it a bit more.
                      Amazingly, it worked for me!

It didn't work initially, but then I tried with one user logged on at the console, before trying a remote desktop with another user.

Are the PCs in the same workgroup? Do the users have the appropriate rights? Have you rebooted after placing the file there (and is the file still the correct one after the reboot?)?

Either way, while it is limited to one remote user and one local user, it is very cool !

Thanks!

Jörg
                      pixar

Comment

It's either one of two things. Either the concurrent logon doesn't work for XP machines that have domain (i.e. don't use the default NETLOGON style logon like in WIn2k) or it doesn't work unless both machines have the same version of the termserv.dll.

When remoting from my server to XP box on the domain it doesn't work. My home computer, which is XP with fast user switch logon, it works just fine. I suppose I can try connecting to my XP laptop (domain) from my home box and see if that works. Narrow down what does and doesn't work.

Should try that tonight.

Jammrock

Comment

I found somewhere that the fast logon screen must be used, and I believe the fast user switching is also required. But I have noticed you can't connect remotely if the account doesn't have a password... (MS and security? )

Only the computer to which you connect must have the other termserv.dll file.

Jörg
                          pixar

Comment

Fast logon/user switching makes use of terminal services. This might explain that.

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                              But I have noticed you can't connect remotely if the account doesn't have a password... (MS and security? )

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Local Security Policy

Local Policies -> Security Options

Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords t console logon only ... -> Disable

Jammrock

Comment

Working...
                              X