• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft releases Windows XP X64 Edition

What do you think, is it worth a try?

Cheers,
    Elie

I ran it exclusively for a while. it's pretty solid and reminds me a lot of 2k when it first came out. drivers are more or less a crapshoot though.
    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

I installed one of the late-Beta versions and had the same sort of non-existant driver problems.
      To make things even better, when I ran "Windows Update" it said "You need to run 32-bit IE", then promptly told me I was running the wrong version of IE to use Windows Update
      Good old MS...
      Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

honestly, i never bothered running the 64bit version of IE. plugin support was lacking, and since it defaulted to the 32 bit version it worked.

don't worry though, Windows Updated didn't have any content up for it.

i had drivers for all my hardware. just the performance on some of them are lacking.
        "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Sounds pretty much like the first release of any Microsoft OS.

They get pretty darn good support for a few pieces of hardware, but try as they might other manufacturers just can't deliver.

ATI has been working their asses off to get good 64-bit drivers, but it's a struggle. They're doing better than most, though.
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          I would still get screwed

Comment

Crikey, Matrox have released a driver for the 64 bit Windows, wonder how half baked it is.

I'm gonna hold out till 2006 though.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
              Sounds pretty much like the first release of any Microsoft OS.

They get pretty darn good support for a few pieces of hardware, but try as they might other manufacturers just can't deliver.

ATI has been working their asses off to get good 64-bit drivers, but it's a struggle. They're doing better than most, though.
              they need to work their asses off to get good 32bit drivers first.

I ran a GeForceFX 5700U and 6600GT on an nForce3 150/250 platform throughout it. NVidia's drivers have been absolutely stable, no blue screens, nothing. if you want an AMD platform for x64, NVidia is the only way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by DGhost
                they need to work their asses off to get good 32bit drivers first.

I ran a GeForceFX 5700U and 6600GT on an nForce3 150/250 platform throughout it. NVidia's drivers have been absolutely stable, no blue screens, nothing. if you want an AMD platform for x64, NVidia is the only way to go.
                Funny that nVIdia's 32-bit drivers are the buggiest things on the face of the planet. Alternating builds break virtually all games supported. But nVidia fans seem to think that their drivers are "stable". *shrug*
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                  Funny that nVIdia's 32-bit drivers are the buggiest things on the face of the planet. Alternating builds break virtually all games supported. But nVidia fans seem to think that their drivers are "stable". *shrug*
                  you know what, it's because i've never had a problem with them. i can uninstall them through the control panel and without having to spend 30 minutes cleaning the system afterwards. i can run any game out there without problems. and you know when the last time i ever saw a bluescreen in *any* computer? it was because of the ATI card that was running in it.

NV's software rivals the old Matrox Powerdesk in terms of functionality and flexibility. it's pretty damn good.

Comment

I've recently noticed problems with NVIDIAs desktop management and Canon's ZoomBrowser EX on XP. The CPU utilization peaks out (can't recall the process). I killed the desktop mgt, got all my photos uploaded from the digicam, reactivated desktop mgt, and then everything stayed stable. I'll have to check for updates and try to track this down a little further. This is all 32-bit.
                    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Is it true that XP64 is based on 2k3 codebase? I've read that somewhere...(anyway, I don't tjink I'll go soon to 64bit - maybe for S754 Semprons...)

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere
                        Is it true that XP64 is based on 2k3 codebase? I've read that somewhere...(anyway, I don't tjink I'll go soon to 64bit - maybe for S754 Semprons...)
                        yes. it's from the same codebase as Server 2003 SP1.

Comment

Hmm...Windows 2003 Proffesional has arrived then (but I'd still use 2k3 server anyway - no junk to turn off; oh, and the little plus is that it runs on my cpu :> )
                          Last edited by Nowhere; 26 April 2005, 12:23.

Comment

Originally posted by DGhost
                            and you know when the last time i ever saw a bluescreen in *any* computer? it was because of the ATI card that was running in it.
                            ... and the last time I saw a blue screen it was with an nvidia video adapter and driver on a nice fresh clean XP. We gave up trying to fix, isolated the problem to the graphics adapter / driver combo and the supplier replaced the asus card with an msi card (both 5200 based chips) and the problem went away. They can all take a crap in certain environments. You can be guarenteed there will be plenty of crapping going on in the 64bit driver dept for some time.
                            Alcohol and Drugs make life tolerable.

Comment

Well I'm going to wait as my AMD setup hasn't arrived yet and as other shave stated the driver support at the moment is a big sucky.
                              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                              X