Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fun things to find monday morning at work...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun things to find monday morning at work...

...your dev server with a hosed Raid card.
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Better the card than the drives! I hope you backed up to the main server!
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

did i mention much to my disgust it is our main server.
      small office, only 5 staff in here all the time, rest are sales that wander in and out.
      samba is offline, our internal db is offline, its 8:15pm and i am still sorting things out.
      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Must be going around today.

They were supposed to make a fresh copy of my tax database from production to dev ovewer the weekend.

Got to work this morning and:
        Code:
        SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on Mon Apr 25 08:27:17 2005

(c) Copyright 2000 Oracle Corporation.  All rights reserved.

SQL> @connect chajol@tax_test
        Enter password:
        ERROR:
        ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
        ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist

>
        sigh...
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

Well, I just got the word that it will be ready by 11am
          deeper sigh...
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

It's a bit of a black monday:

Friend A just heard her house-sale has fallen through, probably costing her £2000 and the house of her dreams.

Friend B just heard his home- extension has to be altered by 12-inches, so has to go through all the planning process again, causing the builders to have to down-tools for up to 2 months.

I hope you guys get through it soon.
            FT.

Comment

Today I learned that when you plug a Dell OptiPlex GX280 into a 240V socket, with the power supply set to 120V, it goes POP. All the older Dells have auto-switching power supplies. I didn't notice that they got rid of that feature, and I didn't realize that our server room runs at 240V. Damn...
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by Sasq
                ...your dev server with a hosed Raid card.
                RAID5 I hope

Dr. Mordrid
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Sorry Sasq That is a BAD way to start the week out.
                  Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Speaking of which.
                    How's it coming Dan?
                    Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

yeah dan, job security still kicked in, or ya fix it right away?
                      Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
                        Today I learned that when you plug a Dell OptiPlex GX280 into a 240V socket, with the power supply set to 120V, it goes POP. All the older Dells have auto-switching power supplies. I didn't notice that they got rid of that feature, and I didn't realize that our server room runs at 240V. Damn...
                        I've seen that happen to systems. Had a good one where half of the motherboard charred to a crisp in addition to the power supply.
                        Thats wierd though, we got a GX280 not too long ago at work and it was auto-switching.

Comment

got done last night what i could, continue on today.
                          it's an sx4000 and one of the channels has gone flakey.
                          Running in raid 5, I can bring up 2 of the three OK, but if I plug a drive into the third channel - system crash.

Should have a nice new 3ware on my desk when I crawl in this morning, continue the backup. swap cards, OS install, figure I should finish sometime by about 8pm tonight.
                          Juu nin to iro

Comment

Damn, hope you're well appreciated for all the work you put in.

Edit: damn sp
                            Edit2: I sure can spell!
                            Last edited by ZokesPro; 25 April 2005, 17:15.
                            Titanium is the new bling!
                            (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
                              Damn, hope your well appreciated for all the work you put in.

Edit: damn sp
                              You went to all the trouble to edit your post, and you didn't even fix all the spelling errors...
                              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Working...
                              X