Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP!!!...A noob going insane.....networking windows and linux...need a step-by-step

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!!...A noob going insane.....networking windows and linux...need a step-by-step

I'm losing my mind trying to get his working.
    Google has been no help.

I'm a newbie user.
    Trying to network Windows 2000 with SuSE 9.2.
    I basically know nothing about Linux. Just need to get file sharing working.
    Will only be using the Linux computer for running test game server setups.

I need a step-by-step to get file sharing working.

edit: The closest I got to anything working was following this tutorial but for some reason smbd doesn't start, no matter what I do.

Last edited by SitFlyer; 24 April 2005, 19:39.

busy at work, so i don't have time to launch into it.
    Basically Samba can be an insane thing to get working your first time round.

Just to get you up and running, it might be easier to download the ssh client from ssh.com - it also has a file transfer mode, and you can drag and drop in windows.
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Dude, you really need to get on IM or X-fire or anything. Trying to troubleshoot via posts and PMs is really hard.

Post your /var/log/messages like I asked :P
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

huh?

I tried SuSe LiveCD and I had no problem accessing shares on Windows box on LAN.

Comment

Whats the betting on a re-install it would just work fine striaght away.
          Samba is beautiful thing that can just stop working for no reason and I've know it work just start working without any prompting.
          Try Samba.org hidden away on there is a good trouble shooting guide. Make sure you're logged in as root to do the trouble shooting otherwise you may not get the results described.
          I'm presume the internet does work as well.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Just remembered something Suse firewall for me blocked samba from the network. Basically the firewall ignored any instructions to let samba talk to the outside world. Solution disable the firewall since it wasn't clearly do what was instructed to do.
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

goto services & make sure smb is working.

open up a browser & type localhost:901

you should see SWAT. Fill in the blanks in the global & shares section and restart the services

If SWAT doesn't show up, then install it

once it's all ok, use smb4k or lineigbourhood to browse the network or just type smb://computer name from run command

ciao

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                Just remembered something Suse firewall for me blocked samba from the network. Basically the firewall ignored any instructions to let samba talk to the outside world. Solution disable the firewall since it wasn't clearly do what was instructed to do.
                aye, just upgraded the server here to suse9.2 and that evil firewall had me showing on the windows machines, but non connectable.
                Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Suse 9.3 is out, I'll install it tomorrow, which is going to be my first Linux excursion.

Comment

I was messing around with it a couple of days ago and somehow hosed the both the root and my password I plan to reinstall this weekend after I swap the CD drive for a DVD drive.

Comment

Well, if you've hosed it, I recommend trying to run in single-user mode, so that you can reset the root password.

It sounds like your system is in the perfect state to practice it, especially since you're going to reinstall anyway.

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                      X