something different

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• something different

Well I haven't formatted in like 8 months and I feel like a format now and I'm not sure whether to re-install XP Pro or go back to something like win 2000.

Slipstreamed XP SP2 is the way to go:
    - compatibility
    - most drivers are there, so less hassle with finding aditional drivers
    - XP has some nifty stuff over 2k, but you have to disable stupid user defaults like autoplay popups, search puppy, simple file sharing...

Comment

Or if you don't play much (and judging by hardware you have, drivers won't be a problem for you) just install 2k - you install it, update, and it's ready to go. With XP you have to waste huge amounts of time to achieve useable state...

PS. Or go with 2k3 - best of both worlds
      PPS. On the second thought...have you considered Ubuntu?

Comment

I think I'm less sure than I was before guys ... haha

Although I'm thinking of installing 2000 to try it and compare since I've been using XP for a while now.
        I'm also tempted to create a seperate partition for Ubuntu (is this a good Linux release?).

Comment

Very good, I highly recommend it (it's possible that it'll become my main OS)

Comment

People like Ubuntu.

I tried both SuSe and Ubuntu LiveCD. I like SuSe - looks excellent too (better than Windows).

Comment

I dont do much gaming on my PC anymore so it wouldn't be a real problem but i was wondering if either of these releases support Half Life/ Half Life 2 out of the box or am I better served installing windows on another partion?

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU
                People like Ubuntu.

I tried both SuSe and Ubuntu LiveCD. I like SuSe - looks excellent too (better than Windows).
                Hey, you mean stampede or something?!

Seriously...it probably is, but I personally knew from day one that Ubuntu is for me - I've been looking for a Debian - based distro centered around Gnome for a looong time

Comment

Originally posted by 3dfx
                  I dont do much gaming on my PC anymore so it wouldn't be a real problem but i was wondering if either of these releases support Half Life/ Half Life 2 out of the box or am I better served installing windows on another partion?
                  Keep Windows for gaming. (well, you can play using Cedega...but it has it's share of issues - most notable for you is that ATI drivers for Linux aren't very good)

Comment

Many thanks for the info Nowhere

Comment

Be aware that after you've installed slipstreamed XP SP2, you'll need to patch the TCP/IP so that you can have more than 10 incomplete connections at a time, or else anything more network intensive than web surfing will bork your machine and require a reboot.
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I would still get screwed

Comment

About the SP2 TCP/IP "Patch":
                        I have seen more and more users recommend installing this "Patch" to solve other users problems and it is getting very annoying. I would have to say 99% of the people who have installed this patch have no idea what it actually does and they are passing along false information to other users here ...
                        There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

What's funny/weird is that NOD32 identifies it as a virus:

Comment

I have used the patch(a version of it) , the main benefit was for emule.
                            I don't notice any difference when browsing or downloading.

Comment

I like how that someone in that thread says applications that trigger the warning are faulty 'cause they try to make connections to offline clients... how can you find out if they're offline unless the program tries to make a connection first?

BitTornado (and I'm sure most of the other BT clients) has a quick resume feature that stores clients it had connections to in previous sessions to resume quickly without having to get the list from the tracker again. Of course some clients are not gonna be there anymore, and if it's a busy torrent it could easily exceet the limit of incomplete connection attempts.

I don't have a real problem with the limit, but making people patch the tcpip.sys file to change it is pretty lame, it's not like it's difficult for a virus, trojan, or nasty spyware to "fix" the limit themselves anyway, a registry entry would have been much more reasonable.

Comment

Working...
                              X