The Incredibles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Incredibles

Just saw the DVD and it was great fun.. gotta be one of Pixar's best (which is saying a lot.) The droll humor reminded me of classic Chuck Jones work.. which is about the highest compliment I can imagine for any animation. See this film!

Yep. Saw it. Enjoyed it very much. I agree with KvH it's one of their best! Definitive "must see!"

Comment

I actually fell asleep in the theater the first time I saw it

The second view was more entertaining...the animation quality is great and the visual gags are pretty funny as well, but personally, I thought Shrek2 was much funnier and would have deserved the animation Oscar.
      All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

Nice cartoon, but too full of things happening left and right. A bit tiring like Die Hard 3. Nice movie, no slowdown.

Comment

I've seen it at least 50 times

PS Good movie, something for kids and adults
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Loved it. Got to see it again some time

Comment

I could go on for hours about this movie. I, too, have seen it about 50 times now. And it still holds my attention.

Let's see - first of all it's one of the first animated films that is both cross-audience AND has a subtext. It's not a hard subtext to see, but it's there. And that's something. Let's face it - Shrek was never really for kids. Shrek2 as well. Yeah, it's PG so kids can watch it but the target audience for Shrek is teens and up. The target audience for The Incredibles is 8 year olds.

That said, there's stuff in there that 8 year olds just WILL NOT SEE. The entire "is he having an affair" subplot is just lost on anyone under 15, which is just fine - it lets the movie work on two levels. On one level it's about superheroes and on the other level it's about a family and whether they'll keep things together or not - and on yet another level it's about the struggle of the exceptional versus the mundane.

It's full of GREAT quotes. Not as snappy or universal as other animated films, perhaps, but great nonetheless.

"They keep coming up with new ways to celebrate mediocrity, but when someone is truly exceptional..." is one of my favorites.

And again, some of the more "adult" humor is done subtly enough to be lost on the kids. Helen thinks that Bob is cheating on her, and launches into an invective "you no-good lousy lying cheating sonofa..." and he says "why would I cheat on the perfect woman?" - and every guy in the audience gets it because of the earlier scene where we see just how stretchy she really is, and just what his reaction to that is.

But it also works because all the characters are so darn BELIEVABLE, even though they're superheroes. The dad is underappreciated but he embodies what everyone thinks about their dad when they're a kid - he's really strong, he can do ANYTHING. How many times have you heard kids arguing "my dad is stronger than YOUR dad"?

The mom is extremely stretchy - and has to be to juggle three kids and a home, especially when one of those kids - like the physical embodiment of all 8 year old boys - is hyperactive to the point of breaking the sound barrier. The teenage girl? Just wants to hide and protect her feelings inside a shell, and has the power to do so.

Oh well. It's a great film. Really great. Lots of fun.
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

So it IS good, unlike Finding Nemo, which was just boring?

AZ
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

My 2 year old just LOVED Nemo. You're just TOO old

Comment

Originally posted by lecter
                    I actually fell asleep in the theater the first time I saw it

The second view was more entertaining...the animation quality is great and the visual gags are pretty funny as well, but personally, I thought Shrek2 was much funnier and would have deserved the animation Oscar.
                    Ew ... no way. I thought Shrek 2 was pretty dumb. It had it's moments but 60% of was stuff regurgitated from the first. The Incredibles deserved the nod far more than Shrek 2.
                    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I actually quite liked Finding Nemo, but The Incredibles damn near beats out the original Toy Story as my favorite movie from Pixar (Disney can go drown in a shallow pool of water). Unlike animated movies from some other studios, which will be dated by their pop-culture references, Pixar films will stand the test of time, though I'm not so sure what to think of their next one - Cars.

The animated short that played before the film in the theatre was classic and probably one of the most original I've seen in a long time. Though maybe it was the look on the face of a certain someone that made it classic
                      “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Originally posted by az

AZ
                        Please tell me you saw this in your native language, and not in English? Or maybe it doesn't translate well? Nemo was AWESOME!

"OH MY GOSCHK! NEMO'ZH SCHWIMMING OUT TO CSHEA!"

"You touched the butt!"

Oh, c'mon!
                        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

The name of that short was Boundin'.

It was written, directed, voiced, and scored by a guy named Bud Luckey, who is also the voice of Agent Rick Dicker in "The Incredibles".

He's their oldest animator, one of the first they hired, and he's the guy who created "Woody". He's pretty brilliant, and highly respected... and a decent songwriter, too. (Although the music was eventually performed by a famous Nashville country group...)

Comment

"Okay, every time they run, we take a shot"

Laughed my ass off when they slipped that in there.
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by az

AZ

now see, i was more entertained by finding nemo then the incredibles.

i liked both movies, but the laugh factor was there for me on FN instead of the other.
                              www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Working...
                              X