Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DualDisc

CD on one side, DVD on the other.

Sounds to me like a kludge to keep a dying technology going....

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Can't really see the point myself, it's not like CDs or even DVDs cost the earth to physically produce, and DVD-Audio hasn't really taken off anyway.
    Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Well I could see the usefulness for PC stuff, but that's about it. I mean, the number of people with DVD-ROM drives is still "relatively" small compared to the number of total PC's around the country/world.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

The DualDIsc is designed to compete with the hyrid SACD/CD disc from Sony. It's supposed to store a high rez DVD-A one side and a CD album on the other, not really meant for DVD movies.

Though both SACD and DVD-A is about to get trumped by Blu-ray/HD-DVD, which has a high audio resolution that either SACD or DVD-A. That and DTS is coming out with a supposedly awesome high-rez lossless CODEC for blu-ray which is supposed to (rumors?) reproduce a lossless version of the master. With 50 GB per disc and a good lossless compression I suppose it's possible.

ANd that all might end up being trumped by digital distribution and high speed internet connections ....

Time will tell.

Jammrock
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

They're serious about replacing SACD & DVDA? (which are already overkill)

Comment

What do you mean SACD is overkill???
            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere
              They're serious about replacing SACD & DVDA? (which are already overkill)
              Yup!

Speaking of which: http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=8251949

Looks like there's an outside shot that there will NOT be a format war between Blu-ray and HD-DVD. Sony and Toshiba are in talks to merge the formats and create a unified HD playback format. W00t!

Back to audio:

Blu-ray, HD-DVD and/or the hybrid format will be able to provide ultra high definition lossless audio. And with ~50 GB to store the audio ... it'll make audiophile over the world jump for joy

Jammrock

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                Yup!

Speaking of which: http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=8251949

Looks like there's an outside shot that there will NOT be a format war between Blu-ray and HD-DVD. Sony and Toshiba are in talks to merge the formats and create a unified HD playback format. W00t!

Back to audio:

Blu-ray, HD-DVD and/or the hybrid format will be able to provide ultra high definition lossless audio. And with ~50 GB to store the audio ... it'll make audiophile over the world jump for joy

Jammrock
                I completely disagree with that statement. I have read nothing at all about an audio-only format on either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray physical media, and the DTS you linked is part of the video standard (i.e. audio streams of movies) as well as has a lower max sampling rate than what DVD-Audio allows for.

I very very much doubt they'll introduce such a standard for at least 3-5 more years, if at all, when there are much cheaper to produce alternatives, which specs are overkill for nearly all consumers (i.e. DVD-Audio and SACD).

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus
                  I completely disagree with that statement. I have read nothing at all about an audio-only format on either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray physical media, and the DTS you linked is part of the video standard (i.e. audio streams of movies) as well as has a lower max sampling rate than what DVD-Audio allows for.

I very very much doubt they'll introduce such a standard for at least 3-5 more years, if at all, when there are much cheaper to produce alternatives, which specs are overkill for nearly all consumers (i.e. DVD-Audio and SACD).
                  DTS discs still don't use the DVD-A standard. I bet there will be lossless DTS audio discs out within the first year or two of the new format coming out.

Whether an official standard is adopted this year when the format(s) are due to launch is anyone's guess. But it will happen.

Jammrock

Comment

I've gotten one recent music CD which included both a CD and a video DVD of the performance. I know there are other such releases but I don't know how spread it has gotten. This new media could reduce costs on such a product.
                    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Nice thing about DVD-A is that it uses MLP which is 24 / 192 lossless but is encrypted. Which means you either need to use the analog outs on your player or firewire / or an interface that supports copy protection. Spdif is disabled or fixed at 16 bit 48khz. For more info go to www.meridian.co.uk

I think they shoud scrap dvd-audio / sacd and move onto squeezing it into minidisc sized objects that are protected. I.e. something that can make it possible to put the disc in your pocket. UMD type format seems ideal.

Comment

Originally posted by Fluff
                        UMD type format seems ideal.
                        UMD is Minidisc like, so...

But seriously, MD like is better IMHO - it fully protects the disc while not in use.

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                          The DualDIsc is designed to compete with the hyrid SACD/CD disc from Sony. It's supposed to store a high rez DVD-A one side and a CD album on the other, not really meant for DVD movies.

Though both SACD and DVD-A is about to get trumped by Blu-ray/HD-DVD, which has a high audio resolution that either SACD or DVD-A. That and DTS is coming out with a supposedly awesome high-rez lossless CODEC for blu-ray which is supposed to (rumors?) reproduce a lossless version of the master. With 50 GB per disc and a good lossless compression I suppose it's possible.

ANd that all might end up being trumped by digital distribution and high speed internet connections ....

Time will tell.

Jammrock
                          you forgot to mention that you get "for free" copy protection with the discs.

not that it is hard to rip anyways, just that is there.
                          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Working...
                          X