I am looking for an alternative to PC-VCR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am looking for an alternative to PC-VCR

After you run PC-VCR open your Windows mixer. You may find the line in or line out muted. Un mute it.

As for capturing with MPEG-4 or some other alternate codec this is pretty easy. Go to the bottom of this page;

http://www.desktopvideoworld.co.uk/D...downloads.html

and download Flying Dutchman's YUY2 patch. Now install version 1.52 of PC-VCR (1.54's YUY2 support is broken) and run the patch. The next stop is to go to this page and get a copy of AVI_IO;

http://www.nct.ch/multimedia/avi_io/index.html

Pay the man his $25 and get the full version. It's handier than you can possibly imagine. Really read the AVI_IO sites info and you should get the idea as to why.

To capture using an alternate codec like DivX (MPEG-4) first install Divx:

http://www.projectmayo.com/projects/index.php

Now open AVI_IO, set the capture Format as YUY2, set the frame size and select DivX as the Compression. Set the capture options to the drive you want to use, save the settings and....

TaDa.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 25 March 2001).]

I am looking for an alternative to PC-VCR

I run a PIII500 Abit BE6II 384mb RAM Windows 2000 Professional SR1 and Marvel G400TV

I only use the composite video-in with my VCR as a tuner (PAL). PC-VCR works OK but it crashes occasionally, the remote control is no use to me and annoys me every time I load the program and worst - it messes with my audio settings – My audio comes in the line-in jack of my SBLive Value and out the digital-out jack to my digital receiver/amp. This works fine when PC-VCR is not loaded but as soon as I run PCVCR, my line-in stops working. When I close PCVCR the audio returns.

Ideally I would like ditch PCVCR is favour of a product that can time-shift (does Intervideo’s WinDVR work with my setup?) and record video+audio to MPEG4 or similar. - I am happy to use an intermediate format if real-time MPEG4 compression at good resolution and frame rate is too CPU intensive.

What products are out there? - Thanks for any help!

Comment

I agree that the PC-VCR is a proctalgia I use only for an initial set-up, should I need to reinstall the Marvel drivers or whatever. After that, capturing is done via MS Pro 6 for odd sequences or AVI_IO, as Doc has recommended, for major capturing. Try the demo version, though, before laying down your 25 bucks or whatever, just to make sure you are not going to have a problem.

However, you may have problems with YUY2 if your hard disks are not perfectly configured, though. Use the native hardware MJPEG with the AVI_IO first of all before trying the software stuff. IMHO

------------------
      Brian (the terrible)

[This message has been edited by Brian Ellis (edited 25 March 2001).]
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

OK, Thanks for that, I will have a go I am quite keen to start copying someo f my VHS tapes to MPEG4 and CD rom - no doubt I'll be back to ask some questions!

Is there anything build in to Windows or downloadable from Microsoft that is just a 'Viewer' - All these products seem to be for capture but I just want a simple viewer that won't crash my system.

Comment

AVI_IO will play back also. The IO at the end is for Input - output. If you're into video capture AVI_IO will be the best $25 you can spend.

Regards

Pooh
          ASUS P4S533, P4 2.53Ghz, 1.25Gb PC2700, 40Gb System HD 120Gb AV HD, WinXp Pro

Comment

An extremely useful little player can be found at http://www.sasami2k.com . Lots of features, but AVI_IO is the best for capturing.

Prospero

Comment

Sorry I wasn't being clear. I want some kind of compact viewer that will let me watch whatever is being fed in to the composite video port of by Marvel card live - overlayed in real time with no frills, no controls etc. just a switch between windowed and full screen. Any ideas?

Comment

Thanks for all the help so far. - A couple more things....

I have tried to download the Flying Dutchman's YUY2 patch but the link appears to be broken.

I am using W2K Prof - I note that you say I should have Vid Tools 1.52 but I think they are for 9x What should I use with W2K?

Comment

Nothing yet. AFAIK FD's patch doesn't work under Win2k.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Dr Mordrid-
                    I use VT 1.54 and PD 5.55 with G200 Mystique for support of Matrox DVD module. Would the stuff you suggest work for me?

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by speedmeup:
                      ... it messes with my audio settings – My audio comes in the line-in jack of my SBLive Value and out the digital-out jack to my digital receiver/amp. This works fine when PC-VCR is not loaded but as soon as I run PCVCR, my line-in stops working. When I close PCVCR the audio returns....</font>
                      Try this, it worked for me. I was having the same exact trouble with audio using AV_IO and VirtualDub. Heres what I did to fix it.

After starting your capture program, go into the capture settings.
                      In your case, composite should be selected.
                      Click on S-Video (even though this is wrong).
                      Ok everything, then go back and select composite. The audio should come back. For some reason, in some systems, the capture program internally mutes the line-in.

Hope this helps,
                      Terry

WinXP Pro/Win2K Pro
                      Pentium 4 1.7 Abit TH7II-RAID
                      HD (boot): Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 60GB
                      HD (RAID-0): WD WD400BB 80GB (2x40GB)
                      Kingston 256MB 800MHZ RDRAM
                      ATI Radeon 8500 128MB
                      Hauppauge Wintv #401
                      Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Comment

BrianEllis,

I use AVi_io all the time, but i can't get it to work with the mjpeg hardware capture. avi_io crashes everytime.

Comment

Frogster

I've no problem. What is your set-up?

------------------
                          Brian (the terrible)
                          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Hey Speedmeup,

No-one's mentioned Virtual Dub (also affectionately known as "VD"). Its a freebie video capture and processing application but before you capture clips with it the video can be displayed nicely on your screen, much like PC-VCR.

I think this URL is still right:

http://www186.pair.com/vdub/index.html
                            Intel TuC3 1.4 | 512MB SDRAM | AOpen AX6BC BX/ZX440 | Matrox Marvel G200 | SoundBlaster Live! Value | 12G/40G | Pioneer DVR-108 | 2 x 17" CRTs

Comment

Working...
                            X