No announcement yet.

I want a Windows CD, not a Restore CD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want a Windows CD, not a Restore CD!

Is there a way I could possibly coerce HP into giving me a real Windows CD???

I need to reinstall a Compaq TC1000 (Tablet PC) and would very much want to get rid of the useless stuff they force you to install without having to redo the wprk everytime (apparently there is a problem with ghosting this PC).

Their BS restore CD will only recognize *some* HP CDRW USB 2.0 drives (and *none* of the other brands' !). It took me 2 days to figure out a way to properly install the OS from the restore CD using a USB bootdisk and a kilometer-long command in DOS.

Talked to HP support, and OF COURSE I know it's OEM and they can't give me a new license and whatnot. I have tons of OS cds lying around, only NONE are XP Tablet PC Edition.

Is there anywhere I can get my hands on the media (are there possible problems with te license key?)? Will MS help on the matter? (I haven't even bothered with the local MS branch, they don't seem to know their a$$ from their head).

When Compaq was still Compaq, they used to give the OS media without much difficulty (I just had to call in a couple of occasions). But it wasn't for a niche OS like this.

Download using edonkey/bt? You've got the license, so it's legal for you...

Comment

That's pretty much what it boils down to - download it from the net.

Problem? Your license may not even be for "XP Tablet PC" it may be for "XP OEM Tablet PC HP Edition" in which case you're utterly screwed.

Now, what _I_ recommend... use Ghost or something similar. Much better support than the HP disc.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

I wish, alas it doesn't work.

I've imaged the drive after the first install but I only get BSODs after I copy it back onto the HDD. I'm not alone apparently...

I've been looking around the HP forums for some help, but I must say that (from what I've seen) their support staff S*CK! If they EVER answer anything... Utterly useless.

Anyway...the OTHER reason why I might want a regular CD is for upgrading the OS without putting one version on top of another, and the restore CD isn't a valid option if I need to use an upgrade license. OR if I want to slipstream the thing....

/me wants original CD!
        /me slaps HP with a big smelly trout!
        /me reports HP

Comment

I am not sure but, could you install a "free" version as in emule and the change the serial number to your legitimate one?

I am in a similar situation, I have legitimate win2k acer Restore CD and serial (as well as the authentic hologram label), but it won't install on a different motherboard...what do you think my chances are of changing the serial after installing from a "free" copy?

Comment

Sadly your chances are slim, because OEM serial keys don't work with storebought Windows discs. So "Windows XP Home" is not the same as "Windows XP Home OEM HP".
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            I would still get screwed

Comment

I seem to recall that I was reading some site once that explained how to do a hack that allowed you to use OEM keys on retail cds. It had something to do with replacing a file on the cd with an edited version. It wasn't for Tablet Edition though. Do a web search for something along those lines, you may find something.
              P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

You basically have to extract a file and change the PID with an OEM one.

@Marshmallowman: right now I'm copying the i386 folder from my restored TPC disk. I'll slipstream SP2 in it (free Win XP TPC 2005 Edition!) and make a proper install CD. Compaq has tons of stuff at install that I'll probably remove for another restore CD I'm creating. The slipstreamed CD might be useful in case of an upgrade too.

Also, as far as MS OEM licenses go, you are authorized to change about everything in the PC EXCEPT the motherboard, unless it is defective. You should probably swap the HDD, do a restore, and build a CD...

Comment

Working...
                X