No announcement yet.

CDC study: obesity risks overstated....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CDC study: obesity risks overstated....

Good news for most of us;

Newsday article from the AP....

The new analysis found that obesity -- being extremely overweight -- is indisputably lethal. But like several recent smaller studies, it found that people who are modestly overweight actually have a lower risk of death than those of normal weight.

Biostatistician Mary Grace Kovar, a consultant for the University of Chicago's National Opinion Research Center in Washington, said "normal" may be set too low for today's population. Also, Americans classified as overweight are eating better, exercising more and managing their blood pressure better than they used to, she said.
    Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

THANK GOD!
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Comment

I'm left wondering what "lower risk of death" could possibly mean...

Comment

they are less likely to be jogging late at night and get run over by a car
        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasq
          they are less likely to be jogging late at night and get run over by a car
          sidenote: since I have started running, and exercising, etc, I have felt worse than I did when I was a tubby little bastard.

i have been injured more as well - several sprained ankles, many rolled ankles, other ankle and knee issues due to having high arches and running/hiking, sore muscles, shin splints a couple of times, blisters, places on my feet rubbed raw, etc etc. I know guys who have basically run and hiked themselves to the point where their knees and backs are permanently ****ed up.

bad things, man.
          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Originally posted by DGhost
            sidenote: since I have started running, and exercising, etc, I have felt worse than I did when I was a tubby little bastard.

i have been injured more as well - several sprained ankles, many rolled ankles, other ankle and knee issues due to having high arches and running/hiking, sore muscles, shin splints a couple of times, blisters, places on my feet rubbed raw, etc etc. I know guys who have basically run and hiked themselves to the point where their knees and backs are permanently ****ed up.

bad things, man.
            I don't think people should do these things until they have done some weight training to build up strength in their muscles. It's all about balance.. weight training, aerobic exercise, and proper diet. Now if only I would get up from this damned computer and do more of those things..

Comment

Running is simply a bad thing to do. Swimming, cycling on a home trainer (but get decent RPMs, not heavy resistance), the rowing simulation thing etc are far safer things to get fitter.

OK, out for a smoke.
              Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
              [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

it's not so much that it is a bad thing (especially since there is evidence that humans evolved to be able to run long distances daily), it's just that it is high impact and if you are not careful you can really, really injure yourself.
                "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

No offense, but most people's problems with working out is they have no idea what they are doing. Don't just go down to the gym and lift weights. Get help. SOme memberships come with some time with a personal trainer. Have them work out what exercises you should do and how to do them. If you do them wrong they will be less effective and can hurt you. Don't pick a personal trainer that does not look like they've been using the gym effectively. My cousin who looks like he could lift most of us MURCers with no problem showed me how to use several leg, arm, and back machines and after the first couple of weeks I had only some minorly sore muscles due to actually using them. This is a good thing. I only had one muscle pull in my upper back and that was probally due to hardly ever using it. That went away completely in a few days. Not being able to move afterwards is not. The "good" people at the gym's will actually be polite and help. Other patrons will help you out if you are seriously trying. Don't let the smucks discourage you. You need that place more than they do.

When starting up, slowly work your way in. When I did chest curls at first I started at a measly 10 pounds per arm and worked my way up to 35 per arm which made it very easy to get use to the workout. I'm gonna have to try going higher again soon.

Comment

Working...
                  X