Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can you change a HDD Serial?

Hi.

I have a buddy who uses some old software at work, which is tied to a licence, which is locked to his hard drive serial no. his drive is on the fritz, so he has copied everything onto a new hdd, unfortunately the software now does not work anymore.. is there an easy way to change a hard disk serial number, so he can match his old serial no?
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Nope. So sorry.

Then again, the likelihood that it's REALLY tied to the SERIAL number is remote. It's probably tied to the VOLUME number, which is certainly changeable, although I forget exactly how.

Getting the SERIAL number involves some low-level calls.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

from the licence file
      HOSTID=DISK_SERIAL_NUM=bca0268f

unfortunately it sounds like the serial no, not the volume

Comment

There are a number of programs that use that kind of license "protection."

This is one of the times that I recommend finding a crack for the software.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

if they had to lock it, they should have done so to a dongle or something else portable ( and no, I don't condone those either) .. so no way of changing this serial then.. that sucks..
          astalavista.box.sk here I come.. I hope I avoid catching anything from there

Comment

Astalavista is OK. With IE you need to set security to high. For Firefox there's mycroft search pluggin for astalavista.
            Attached Files

Comment

Be sure to run a virus check on anything you download, those places are prime breeding grounds for trojans and viruses. (Or so I've heard... )

Comment

I lost a utility that way years ago, serves me right for paying for it.

Comment

It looks like a Volume ID, aka Volume Serial Number, easily changed with, for example, VOLUMEID.EXE from www.sysinternals.com. (Assuming Windoze, of course.)

Comment

Doesn't changing that piss Windows off, though?
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Well, I don't recall my Win2K complaining, and 98 was certainly oblivious, though I can't say anything about XP. Perhaps the license file could be changed to match the drive? Seems too easy, of course...

Comment

I told him to try VOLUMEID.EXE, and it worked like a charm..
                        what stupid protection scheme to use in the first place

THanks ObieWan !

Comment

use astalavista.com in stead of astalavista.box.sk !
                          According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Originally posted by Guru
                            use astalavista.com in stead of astalavista.box.sk !
                            Urk! Well, I guess. Not that I've ever found anything on any of the OTHER sites indexed by astalavista.com except for astaforum.com which is no longer any good.
                            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                            I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by tjalfe
                              I told him to try VOLUMEID.EXE, and it worked like a charm..
                              what stupid protection scheme to use in the first place

THanks ObieWan !
                              We use the same in our product, only coupled with a bit more ID taken here and there.
                              Moreover, we crypt it with 4 keys generated from various sources, so it's hard to take over :-D

However, why your friend has not simply called the Software House to re-register the software?
                              Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Working...
                              X