Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opera 8 finished! (Ha! Got ya, Paddy ;))

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opera 8 finished! (Ha! Got ya, Paddy ;))

Opera 8 is finished. There are no release notes yet, but you can already download it (Win32 and Linux).

I'll update this thread with changelogs etc, if nobody beats me to it

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Servers .... packed ... can't get to client....
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Interesting...out of four available language options one is PL
      I knew that alternative browser percentage was high in Poland, but I didn't realize Opera cares...(especially since if somebody here isn't entitled to free licence, it's unlikely that he'll pay; OTOH price for polish users is 11USD...still OTOH - most people don't have credit cards (only the ones for electronic use))

edit: az, why the default place it wants to install to is the folder of Opera beta? (I suppose I should install it to program files/opera instead; and I suppose all my saved sessions will be intact?)
      Last edited by Nowhere; 18 April 2005, 06:09.

Comment

I'll give this a try later.

Atm Opera randomly decides to use 80-90% of my processer, lets hope this solves that.
        Last edited by dbdg; 18 April 2005, 06:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere
          Interesting...out of four available language options one is PL
          I knew that alternative browser percentage was high in Poland, but I didn't realize ***** cares...(especially since if somebody here isn't entitled to free licence, it's unlikely that he'll pay; OTOH price for polish users is 11USD...still OTOH - most people don't have credit cards (only the ones for electronic use))

edit: az, why the default place it wants to install to is the folder of ***** beta? (I suppose I should install it to program files/***** instead; and I suppose all my saved sessions will be intact?)
          it doesn't; by default it uses the folder name where you installed the previous installation of O-pera.

As far as O-pera 8: it seems to be quite a bit faster in loading pages than the previous version (7.5x)... I like it so far! I'm happy that my registration key is still valid for the 8.x versions.
          Last edited by dZeus; 19 April 2005, 08:14.

Comment

I like Firefox more...

Comment

I saw it earlier today but I didn't want to rob Az of privilege of anouncing it.

Comment

Az

Comment

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?

PS. Why does it have it's self identified as IE by default?
                  Chuck
                  秋音的爸爸

Comment

I can hear you just fine

It does because some sites tend to be nicer to it then.

AZ

Comment

I think IE only sites are passe. Spiegel.de (general news website) had 28,33% Firefox and 64,03% IE page hits on 1st of March. As soon as Firefox/Opera represent 10-30% of general site users, coding them to work in IE only is not good business-wise. I think it would be better if Opera quit identifying as IE by default as it's registered share would be higher.

Az, can you post some screenshots, what's new since 7.54?
                      Last edited by UtwigMU; 18 April 2005, 14:47.

Comment

Sadly, they aren't. dpreview.com, easily the most important digital photography review site, serves Opera a crippled site without the nested menus. After I posted in their forums about this, the site was changed so that now (get this!) you get the menu with Opera if you are IDed as IE on your first visit there; the setting is stored in a cookie, if you were IDed as Opera on your first visit, you won't get the menus even when IDing as IE later on! I even told Mr Askey he only needs to delete his check for Opera in his script and treat Opera the same as IE and it would work, but he chose to do it a more complicated and much more stupid way.

AZ

Comment

Hopefully this fixes the MAJOR problems I have had with b3. B3 is far far worse than B1 or B2 were, this "randomly my CPU goes away" crap has GOT to end.
                          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                          If only life were as easy as you
                          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                          If only life were as easy as you
                          I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by az
                            Sadly, they aren't. dpreview.com, easily the most important digital photography review site, serves Opera a crippled site without the nested menus. After I posted in their forums about this, the site was changed so that now (get this!) you get the menu with Opera if you are IDed as IE on your first visit there; the setting is stored in a cookie, if you were IDed as Opera on your first visit, you won't get the menus even when IDing as IE later on! I even told Mr Askey he only needs to delete his check for Opera in his script and treat Opera the same as IE and it would work, but he chose to do it a more complicated and much more stupid way.

AZ
                            no, he does it this way, because older versions of opera could not handle the menus.
                            and Sorry Az, but there are still people on even this board that use 6.5 because they PAID for it.
                            Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

booo
                              The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Working...
                              X