Nforce 2 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nforce 2 question

Does NF2 support dual channel when sticks of ram aren't the same size?

Can do, if you have 3 sticks eg 2x256 and 1x512 you can get full dual channel if arranged correctly.

I think you might even get dual channel with something like 256 and a 512, well at least for some of the address range. I am not certain on that but as I recall....

Comment

depends on the motherboard. Some do, some don't. What mb do you have?
      "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

It's Asus A7N8X (not mine though...too bad )

Comment

For different size I think you need two single sided modules of same size on one channel and double sided module on other channel.

Otherwise performance gain from dual channel on K7 is negligible unless you're using integrated graphics.

I'd post in CPU/MoBo forum of Arstechnica, they'd know for sure.

Comment

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3199
            Q. What slots do i put my memory in to enable Dual Channel DDR (TwinBank)?
            A. The manual says for 1 stick to reside in each channel. What that means is to benefit from DCDDR you should place modules in slots 1 & 3, or slots 2 & 3. Slot 1 is located closest to the Ziff Socket (black in color) slot 2 is next (blue) and slot 3 is next (also blue). Using all 3 slots can also enable DCDDR. People’s results have varied from system to system depending on what slots they put their modules in. Some get better performance with a certain configuration and some get better stability with another. You should try your own tests as they will more then likely differ from others.

Q. How do I set up Dual Channel DDR/TwinBank/DualDDR optimally?
            A. In order for DualDDR memory to run at it's optimal speed, you need to have an equal amount of RAM in each channel. Slots 1 and 2 are channel 1, and slot 3 is channel 2. Right now I've got 256MB in slot 2, and 256MB in slot 3. This means 256MB in each channel. If I was to upgrade and wanted to keep full Dual DDR, I would need a 512MB stick, and put it in slot 3, and the 256MB sticks in slots 1 & 2. This would give me 512MB in each channel, and an equal balance. This would give me an optimal Dual DDR setup.
            If I were to have, say, 512MB in one channel, and 256MB in the other, only 256MB of the channel with the 512MB stick would be running in Dual DDR, since the channels would not be balanced. The rest of the 512MB stick would run in standard single channel mode, giving below optimal performance.
            "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

256MB are in the mobo, 512MB will be bought. So if I understand this correctly the 256MB stick and half of new stick will run in dual channel, the rest of 512MB will run...not worst than single channel?

Accidentelly, that's also how I want to upgrade my ram, however I have ASrock K7S8X. I wonder if buying Asus nforce mobo for 50€ is worth the hassle and money...

Comment

IMO not, unless it has features you need, as performance gains won't be spectacular and with AthlonXP/Sempron being EOL and 64-bits on horizon investing in socketA is not worthy. Especially if your current board supports lattest Athlons XP (Bartons) and 200MHz/DDR400 FSB and RAM.
                Last edited by UtwigMU; 19 April 2005, 08:40.

Comment

Working...
                X