Vidcapturing again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vidcapturing again!

In December 2001 I moved to my own apartment, some months later when I had unpacked my vidcapturing computer and did some test captures I first thought that My RRG had gone whacky…

As I was already tired of my RRG (it is a bastard from hell) I decided to buy a new card.
    That didn’t help; it displayed the same kind of weird rolling lines that the RRG had done.

I found out after having fun with ferrite cores that the interference came from the electric grid.

After having tested a ton of different things I gave up!

A week ago I happened to read the Specs for an APC surge protector and saw something that caught my eye “EMI/RFI noise filtering”

Turned out that we had one in that series on the shelf and I took it home and tested it, it worked quite good, (it could handle up to 10db) it didn’t get rid of all of the noise but it was an improvement

So I ordered its big brother in the same series that was good for up to 70DB of noise.

And that one did manage to filter out the noise in my electricity

So I’m now able to get my VHS collection onto DVD

Already did some tests and of what I can see I can’t detect any quality degradation (not that there was any from the beginning on those VHS tapes )

My NLE/vidcapturing compter is probably not as happy as I, since it will be working its butt off for the next months
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

So the uppance is that the "bastard from hell" wasn't at fault after all, 'eh?

IMO old as it may be those old RRG's were pretty darned good analog capture cards, esp. outfitted with drivers that allowed YUY2 captures.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
      So the uppance is that the "bastard from hell" wasn't at fault after all, 'eh?
      Nope, it’s more like:
      That I can finally start using my video capture computer for what I wanted to use it for.

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
      IMO old as it may be those old RRG's were pretty darned good analog capture cards, esp. outfitted with drivers that allowed YUY2 captures.

Dr. Mordrid
      Well, when it worked they got great captures, but the reason I called this RRG " The bastard from hell" was that it didn’t work that well.
      More than half the times I started and capture I just got green corruption in the avi, often I couldn’t capture twice without a restart in-between, it also suffered from the funny "data rate dropping" bug where the data rate in the AVI slowly sank until the capture stopped.

When every time you want to capture something turns into a 30 min tinkering session it isn’t fun anymore.

That was why I bought a new card, because I finally had decided that enough was enough.
      Sure the rolling lines didn’t disappear but I was still kind of glad since the new card never glitches, I can just turn on the computer, start the VCR and capture without having to re check every setting, and without worrying that I might have to do it 2 or 3 times again until it works

And since I know have fixed the problem with my electrical grid I have good picture quality all the time.

I don’t claim that ALL RRG’s where bad, just that mine was a Bastard from Hell! (it’s still a bastard from hell but it’s sold now )
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I still have a Rainbow Runner Studio in a system in the studio. I use it just for capturing stop-frame stuff on a little keying stage. Nothing fancy, but it works very nicely.

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

DVDRs are really easy and they do a pretty nice job.
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Working...
          X