New LCD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New LCD

Looking at getting this LCD in the coming months http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...33&newdeptid=1
    17" 1280x1024 Samsung, 8ms
    Opinions, comments, suggestions wanted.
    It'll be a multi-use monitor, but most important part is gaming (but not super important to the extent that I should stick with a CRT).
    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Originally posted by |Mehen|
    17" 1280x1024 Samsung, 8ms
    Opinions, comments, suggestions wanted.
    Not big enough for 1280x1024.
    Alcohol and Drugs make life tolerable.

Comment

Attention that some quote an 8ms value from gray to gray. If the price is too good, it's probably not really an 8ms. Most cheap 8ms I've seen are actually 25ms panels.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtFarmer
        Not big enough for 1280x1024.
        Eh both my 17" TFT's run at that res, as do all the other 17" TFT's I've ever seen!
        When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

I've sold a lot of Samsung LCDs (and own two myself). Although they are rated very highly and I generally like them, I have to say that I've noticed a sharp reduction in their build quality over the last year.

Lately, we've seen a lot of screens right out of the box with finger prints on them from the factory. Sometimes the plastic appears to have some slight molding defects.

When you get your screen, check it over very carefully and get an exchange if there are any problems.

As for advice on the model itself. I'm surprised that a brand new model would have a contrast ratio of only 600:1. The models I sell are all 1000:1. I can tell the difference. You may not. Further, it's a brand new model so waiting for some reviews to come in at Amazon and Epinions would be a good idea.
          Last edited by schmosef; 17 April 2005, 10:23. Reason: spelling
          P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Originally posted by Taz
            Eh both my 17" TFT's run at that res, as do all the other 17" TFT's I've ever seen!
            Yeah, but if you want to sit back and relax while viewing, or push your monitor back on your desk a 19" at the same res is sweet. Just my opinion.

Comment

Well, from what I've heard no LCDs truly run at the timing they advertise, that is more of a minimum, but considering as far as I know the 12ms Samsungs have virtually no ghosting, 8ms can't be any worse. As for the size/resolution issue, thats definitely one I'm gonna have to go down to the store to check out (plus I think there are 4*ms 19"ers out - viewsonic?). As for the contrast ratio I'm not really sure. I do have an old 15" Daewoo that I got awhile back for real cheap for my secondary monitor, and it's just 300:1, and it's not TOO bad, so maybe 600:1 might be ok. I do tend to notice the little differences though, so maybe when I actually have something to compare to this Daewoo I'll find 1000:1 is a lot better (or just comparing at the store).

edit: the 19" version of the samsung: 1280x1024, 8ms, 700:1 contrast, and not too much more money
              Last edited by Mehen; 17 April 2005, 10:22.
              Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)

Comment

Being a nitwit on displays, I can still say that the difference between a 17" and 19" is huge to me. My 19" even comes across "big" compared to the 18" screens I got at work. So yeah, I'd recommend 19 over 17, big time.
                Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

My LG L1720B 17" runs at 1280x1024, the best resolution for it. For some reason though, my CRTs at the resolution aren't that great.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrono_Wanderer
                    My LG L1720B 17" runs at 1280x1024, the best resolution for it. For some reason though, my CRTs at the resolution aren't that great.
                    that's because crt's generally use 4x3 aspect ration while panels are designed with a different native res/aspect ratio. 17 and 19 inch LCD displays look like crap at lower 4x3 resolutions.

Comment

well, I won't be running much if anything at lower than 1280x1024 (unless I start playing DiabloII again, but lets hope that doesnt happen) my system can handle it

My current CRT (17" and old) can only do 1280x1024 (or 960) at 60Hz, and it gets fuzzy
                      (I run everything at 1152x864 75Hz, 1 of about 10 people on earth that do that )

Comment

Hey, I used to run 1152x864@85 on my 17" (still do on the second head, in fact).

Now it's 1400x1050 on my 19"

AZ
                        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by |Mehen|
                          ...1 of about 10 people on earth that do that..
                          Well I must be number 3 then as I used to run at that resolution
                          When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

you should keep an eye out for listings at http://www.redflagdeals.com/deals/main.php .. check the forums too for hot deals on lcd monitors.. they had the dell 20" one listed for what was it , $599 or so, and I personally got a 17" dell for $239..
                            Anyhow, you wanted a higher end gaming one.. they are still listed there once in a while, but not as frequently.. check it out.

Kasper
                            We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

I got a Dell 2005FPW for $500 after shipping & tax by following some deals on FatWallet.com. It's one amazing monitor! Native res is 1680x1050. No dead pixels. Extremely bright and no ghosting in games.

Dell has 35% off again too.

couple of deals:
                              Since 1999, we've paid our members over $3.2 Billion in Cash Back. Join now for an extra 10% Cash Back boost. Shop 3,500+ stores using coupons or cash back!

Since 1999, we've paid our members over $3.2 Billion in Cash Back. Join now for an extra 10% Cash Back boost. Shop 3,500+ stores using coupons or cash back!

Comment

Working...
                              X