Adobe dropping hardware bundling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adobe dropping hardware bundling?

Adobe's Premiere Pro video editing software will soon no longer be available bundled with low-cost hardware. The move looks intended to stop copies of Premiere, Encore DVD and Audition – the programs in Adobe's Video Suite - being sold cheaply in eBay auctions. So buy 'em while you still afford to!

Bob Crabtree, the author of this article, has been a rather reliable source for many years so this isn't just some hot air factory spewing.

Presuming this comes to pass this is not good news for the makers of hardware realtime cards, but especially for companies like Matrox who have tied virtually their entire RT.X product line to Premiere and Premiere Pro. On the oither hand Canopus is in a relatively stronger position since they have their own editing software, EIDUS, that may be adaptable for use with the Storm RT card.

I don't think it's too much of a secret that I've beta'ed quite a bit and two of the products were the RT-2000 and RT-X100, both of which I continue to use even if it does mean using Premiere and putting up with some of its oddities.

In short: I use them because of the features added by the Matrox card and its drivers and not because of anything Premiere offers. In fact without the Matrox's features and its fixes for some of Premieres more annoying characteristics I'd pretty much leave Premiere on the shelf.

Way back in the RT-2000 days, and again when the RT.X.100 first came out, several of those involved tried to convince Matrox that limiting themselves to Premiere could eventually bite them where it would hurt. Several also strongly suggested that Matrox produce a plugin for MediaStudio Pro using Uleads already existing realtime SDK. Obviously they ignored us.

Oops.

Wonder if they still have Ulead and Sony's number in the Rolodex?

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 14 April 2005, 17:23.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

The URL for this DVdoctor news story has changed

Dr M,

Belated thanks for the kind words.

Sorry, I should have mentioned this before, but the URL for this DVdoctor news story about Adobe revised bundling strategy has changed as a result of changes to our web site.

The story is now at:

Bob C

Comment

Thanks for the update Bob.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Hi,
        I know they are not bundled together anymore, but will the next version of premeire support the rt.x100? The article mentioned a new release in the works. Does anyone have an idea of the release date? I am waiting for the new encore and probably premeire if there is a matrox build for it and it will work well. I am using 6.5 now. I find it a bit crashy on occasion. I just save often, and it rarely effects my production, but I would like a more reliable software. ( and I might as well start learning the new interface sooner rather then later) Any inkling of the new release and will it support the rt.x100? Thanks.
        asus p4 533 c P4 2.53
        4x512 1066 samsung Rambus Ram ( @533)
        120gb or 80 gb system maxtor (ata 133 ) ( removable caddie)
        240 gb ( with 8 mb buffer) raid-o
        250 gb (w/ 8 mb buffer) removable caddie ( plus 10 gb ghost,250 Gb,160 GB,40 Gb, etc)
        Sony Mutli Format DVD burner
        samsung 40x cdrw burner
        Santa Cruz Turtle Beach Soundcard
        Aardvark 20/20 soundcard
        Matrox Rt.x100
        Ati Radeon 9800 pro
        19" Nec Fe991sb crt / 17" Crystalscan / Tv monitor
        Antec Server case SX1040BII and 400 watt power supply
        Xp Pro ( sp 2 )

Comment

we shall see I guess, keep your fingers crossed.

Comment

Working...
          X