X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a new mobile phone

My first one, actually

It's a Samsung SGH-D500. I have a few questions:

1) anybody know any community about this phone or samsung phones in general? Or a site where I could get software for it (whatever software one could want for a mobile - I want to play around with it ), or where to get connector pinouts (the headset connector, for instance - there must be a way to just use this as a headphone out for regular headhpones with a self-soldered adaptor. Or the USB connector at the bottom of the phone. Data cables cost 30 EUR (!) in local stores, and I don't want to buy one off ebay.)

2) The "OK" key is set to start the browser when no menu is active. Can I somehow prevent the mobile from connecting to the net? It's expensive and I don't need it.

Thank you (want pics? )

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Get the cable off of eBay or something. The mark-up on these things is huge.

My motorola cable was $60 retail, and I got it for less than half that with the software included.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
      Get the cable off of eBay or something. The mark-up on these things is huge.

My motorola cable was $60 retail, and I got it for less than half that with the software included.
      What is some good software to access a motorola cell phone with?.. It would be great if there was a way to access it, like it was just another drive. I have the Motorola V551 and would like to get to the pictures I have taken with it, without emailing them to myself .. and I was looking on ebay.. the data cable by itself is as low as $0.99
      We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

I use a program called mobile Phone Tools. It's not free, but I got the OEM price, and it lets me sync my address book and stuff.

There IS free stuff out there now, though, especially for transferring files and hacking firmware. It's slipping my mind at the moment. I'll see what's on my HD when I get home.

Edit:

I see the v551 is bluetooth enabled. You should be able to use any bluetooth dongle, and use the OBEX protocol to move pictures/sounds on off the phone. No extra software required.

Who is your provider? Verizon is notorious for disabling bluetooth features (like file transfer), and other features, of their phones. I'm fine on t-mobile.
        Last edited by Wombat; 13 April 2005, 16:38.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Samsung has some software called Easygprs I use it myself altough it's full with little bugs.

Why not get a bluetooth usb dongle instead of a datacable and try out http://fma.sourceforge.net/index2.htm it's made for Sony-Ericsson phones but it also works with some other phones.
          Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
          Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
          Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Az, I'll be interested in your opinion of the phone - I've had one for a few months and I've uncovered some minor annoyances in the UI.

For data transfer I'm using an infra-red adapter that I bought ages ago for a Nokia along with the Samsung software.

Although there is no way of uploading programs / games to the phone using this, or bluetooth, without some serious hacks.

There are a lot of very enthusiastic puppies on http://www.mobile-review.com/forum2/...splay.php?f=17 but they tend to lose interest when the phone isn't the newest and shiniest any more.

Uberlad
            -------------------------
            8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
            5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
              I use a program called mobile Phone Tools. It's not free, but I got the OEM price, and it lets me sync my address book and stuff.

There IS free stuff out there now, though, especially for transferring files and hacking firmware. It's slipping my mind at the moment. I'll see what's on my HD when I get home.

Edit:

I see the v551 is bluetooth enabled. You should be able to use any bluetooth dongle, and use the OBEX protocol to move pictures/sounds on off the phone. No extra software required.

Who is your provider? Verizon is notorious for disabling bluetooth features (like file transfer), and other features, of their phones. I'm fine on t-mobile.

Thanks, I will see if I can find a cheap bluetooth dongle, but they seem to be alot more than the cheap cables from ebay, hence the original question .. if using bluetooth means that I don't have to buy more software, then I will probably just go that route. I am with Rogers Communications, which is a pretty large player here in Canada.. no Verizon or T-mobile here
              We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Hi Az,

not bad. Would buy this if i hadn't the E700 already.

Regarding links: Aviworld is your friend

their forum is very good! and available directly here : http://5026.rapidforum.com/

And if you are interested in flashing the firmware of your D500 with a newer version or a modded version (soon to come i'm sure), check their download area here: http://avi-stuff.irde.to/files.php?catid=116

To your second question: had the same prob with my E700, solved this with changing to an empty wap profile, so it doesn't start a connection automatically. Dunno where this is exactly at your D500 but i guess you have something similiar.
                To remove the function completely from the button, you need to modify the firmware (see the links at the top )

Rakido
                "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

Thanks for all the links, will check them out when I have a little more time

Uberlad, I've only had the phone for a week now and it's my first mobile, but so far I like it very much. A few annoyances: Birthdays can't be entered in the contacts, but can be entered and shown in the calendar; not possible to use mp3s for the alarm AFAIK; camera's pretty useless (but I didn't buy it for that anyway); is there any way to have more than one voice memo?

AZ
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by tjalfe
                    Thanks, I will see if I can find a cheap bluetooth dongle, but they seem to be alot more than the cheap cables from ebay
                    Just look for a sale. I got my Belkin dongle for $40-$30 rebate. Newegg has no-names in the $20 range. Anything running the Widcomm chipset should be pretty good.

PST and the other free programs are discussed:
                    Last edited by Wombat; 14 April 2005, 09:24.

Comment

Nope, unless you want to hand-hack your firmware you're stuck with the message tones and the alarm tones. And the low battery tone.

The camera is grea for a mobile phone camera, as long as it's set to superfine quality.

I might shell out for the firmware cable if people start releasing interesting modded firmwares, the Orange branding is a little bit weird in places and I'm hoping someone will fix the problem with writing text messages (it randomly switches off predictive text when you start some messages).

Uberlad
                      -------------------------
                      8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
                      5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

Comment

Working...
                      X