Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• software purchase: esellerate

Hello,

I'm considering to purchase a software (PuppetMaster, really a great tool for controlling a PC from a mobile using bluetooth or GPRS), but it is sold via eSellerate (a system with product activation).

Any experiences with eSellerate?
    Is it any good?
    What kind of hardware changes require a re-activation (disks? cards?)?

Thanks!

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

I've purchased a couple software products using eSellerate and I've never had any issues with the purchase process or with hardware changes; though, I'm not positive that all software that uses eSellerate to offer purchasing direct from the application uses activation (at least not in the sense that MS and others use the term). According to their web site it is a separate tool.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Originally posted by Jesterzwild
      I've purchased a couple software products using eSellerate and I've never had any issues with the purchase process or with hardware changes;
      Good to hear!
      though, I'm not positive that all software that uses eSellerate to offer purchasing direct from the application uses activation (at least not in the sense that MS and others use the term). According to their web site it is a separate tool.
      Yes...
      Well, this program does use activation.

Does it generate a lot of internet traffic (I intend to try it over a 9600 baud connection, as it is the only way to connect that machine to the internet)?
      (there is an alternative to purchase using another machine, but if it works directly, it will be the easiest solution)

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

I'm on a faster cable connection, but I've never noticed any excessive bandwidth consumption, if any at all.
        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Ok, thanks!

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

Jorg which brand of phone do you got?
            Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
            Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
            Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

I know what you are getting at: mine phone doesn't work with FMA

It is a Nokia 6260 (Symbian Series 60). There are 3 programs that would allow me this: Bemused (open source, but development has virtually stopped, so features are lacking, malfunctioning, ...), ControlFreak (specializes on music playback and looks) and PuppetMaster (does *everything*, you can even add other programs with scripts).

Either way, I have made the purchase ($15 for all future versions - it currently is in beta) isn't much.

Jesterswild: it require 28KB transfer down, and 15KB transfer up

Jörg
              pixar

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                I know what you are getting at: mine phone doesn't work with FMA
                Jörg
                Hehe this program alone would let me buy a new SE phone (and Romeo on the Mac).
                Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

reported as spam
                  The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
                    reported as spam
                    Why? I haven't visited their site, but it's an open-source project. They're probably just trying to do something cool, not make a quick buck.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

bah! Pimping wares with your first post is spam
                      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

If it were random.

1) She posted in a thread ABOUT puppetmaster.

2) She didn't start her own thread.

But now that I've visited the plutohome site, I see someone selling products, not just an open-source project. I'm torn.
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I'm too tired to think - That's what the mods are for

Comment

Originally posted by laurac
                            Pluto is a new open source project consisting of a “Core”: a central media server to distribute movies, music and tv shows throughout the house; a home automation controller for lights, climate, pool, etc.; and a phone system with video conferencing. It also exposes a network boot for “Media Directors” so your PC’s can boot off the net as a media player, PVR and video conferencing set-top box without installing software.

The remote control software, called “Orbiter”, runs on Symbian Bluetooth mobile phones as well as Linux, Windows and Windows CE devices like webpads and pda’s. They all feature cover art, interactive maps and floorplans, and let you control any device in the house. The UI is skinnable and multi-language. The mobile phone has a ‘follow-me’ feature so your media and other settings follow you from room to room. When you leave the house, it switches to gprs/wap. So the instant something happens at the house (burglar, doorbell, etc.) you get a live video feed, can control the house, and speak to the person through the stereos. It also includes a plug-and-play back-end for Squeeze Boxes, IP phones and cameras.

Check it out at plutohome.com. It’s already useable. If any of the PuppetMaster team would like to work with us on a bridge so PuppetMaster and Pluto can work together, or use PuppetMaster to control a Pluto media server, we have forums or you can email chris.m (at) plutohome.com
                            If you are a real user you have 24 hours to reply saying, "Yub nub," or I declare it spam. We don't mind a little self pimpage, we do mind blatant advertising and spam.

Jammrock
                            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                              If it were random.
                              1) She posted in a thread ABOUT puppetmaster.
                              2) She didn't start her own thread.
                              Yes, this wouldn't have triggered it as spam immediatly for me either: it wasn't totally off-topic.

The style of the post, and the fact that it is a first post seem to hint in the other direction.

But now that I've visited the plutohome site, I see someone selling products, not just an open-source project. I'm torn.
                              Well, I have the impression that they have hardware for in home automation, but offer an open source interface to it, so you can interface with it using a mobile phone.

Jörg
                              pixar

Comment

Working...
                              X