Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replaced A64 2800 with 3400: Now a couple of questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replaced A64 2800 with 3400: Now a couple of questions.

I didn't need the upgrade, but I was building a PC for someone else and took the opportunity to up my cpu from the skt 754 A64 2800 to the 3400 version - its a >20% increase in CPU speed for no money

The rest of the system is an Asus A8N-E Deluxe, 2*512 PC3200 Corsiar low-latency, Asus 9800XT-TVD, 160GB...I updated the BIOS to the latest before doing the swap.

When I removed the 2800, the stock HSF pulled the CPU from the zif skt I'm just hoping it is ok. There are no bent pins at least.

Q1: Can I reuse the TIM when I put the 2800 in another mobo? I have removed the CPU from the HSF to make sure it would come off (and put it back without removing any material). Does the TIM re-flow when it gets hot, or should I just clean it all off as I always have with HS compound?

Q2: First Windows XP Pro demanded a driver for the CPU, which I found on AMDs website. Now I want to run PCProbe (comes from Asus) to check the new cpu temerature (BIOS is reporting ~46C with a case temp of ~40 so I know the temp sensors are still working), but it won't run - no info on any of the tabs. So I uninstalled it, d/l'd the latest version and it won't install, giving error messages when I try starting SETUP.EXE.

I haven't done much else yet beside browsing and launching various Office components but didn't see any other problems. Any suggestions?

TIA.
    FT.

Q1, No you cannot reuse the TIM, just get some good quality thermal grease.

Q2 try something else...MBM or cpufan..etc, if its an nforce board get the latest system utilitly from nvidia as it has temperature monitoring. (ntune I think)

Comment

Mine did the same when I pulled my 3200 out of a bad MSI Mobo (I say bad, it worked just not with a Matrox Gxx series). First thing I did was scrape off the grey crap and replace with a coating of Artic Silver.
      I havent had any issues with AsusProbe, but I am running 2000Pro not XP. Why not just run MBM5?
      Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Ta.

I used to use MBM5...trying again now but it doesn't recognise the mobo and I'm having trouble getting any sensible numbers out of it.
        FT.

Comment

Working...
        X