Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• colour calibration suggestions

Hi Guys,

I've never cared about colour calibration before now.

I'm running three LCD screens right now. One off an ATI AGP card and two off a Matrox PCI P650 card.

Two of my screens (the one on the ati card and one on the matrox) are the same and look exactly the same colour wise. One of my screens is a different make and I can see an annoying difference in the way colours render on it. Not that it's bad mind you, just different than the other two and I'd like them to be the same.

One of the first things I do when I get a new video card is throw out the bundled CDs. I don't have any of the colour calibration software that came with all my various Matrox cards over the years.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good simple util that I can use to adjust my one screen to look more like the other two. I don't care about calibrating the screens to a colour wheel or anything, I'd just like to make them all the same.

Thanks guys.
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

You can try Adobe gamma

Comment

Do I have to buy and Adobe product to get it?

I'm a Corel person (PSP 9, Corel Draw 12).

Comment

Originally posted by schmosef
        Do I have to buy and Adobe product to get it?

I'm a Corel person (PSP 9, Corel Draw 12).
        The Corel Draw 9 Premium Color Edition came with a calibrator and software. I think other versions came with Colorific (which some people call Horrific ) - is that still included with version 12?

Comment

I don't see any colour calibration software in corel's start menu group.

There's some sort of colour manager integrated into Corel now.

In truth, I'm not really looking to calibrate the screen. I'm interested in adjusting my third screen so the colours are more like the other two.

For some reason my Samsung 191T+'s integrated OSD colour settings are disabled when the monitor is using DVI input.

My two Dell 2005FPW's allow me to adjust the colour settings via the OSD no matter what input I'm using.

As far as calibration goes, I think that the Dell's are the least accurate, but I find them to be more comfortable. I've set them to use a "bluish" predefined colour profile that's built into their OSD.

My ATI card has a "color" property page that allows me to adjust the colours. I wish my Matrox card had that.

Comment

i double checked on adobe gamma. It will not allow you to profile a LCD panel. It will allow you to load the ICC or ICM profile in the OS. THere are a couple things to look at. It sounds like you have different "white points" for the two types of LCD screens. That would give a blueish cast to the LCD image if the white point was set at 9000 K or 6500 K (typical default CRT) . The white point is usually adjustable with the on screen display function in the LCD. THe other possibility is the Matrox card does not allow you to independently set the white point or color profile for each output. THey may have to be the same. Check the docs or maybe someone will reply here. One way to test would be to put both the Dells on the Matrox and see if the color shift goes away. Then you could tweak the other LCD either with its OSD utility or with the ATI panel. EIther way , you should have the manufacturer default profile loaded in the OS to get more consistent color display. Set the white points all the same if possible. Otherwise one will look bluer than the other.

Comment

The colours look the same if I turn off the "bluish" colour preference on the Dells.

I guess I'm looking for a way to fake that setting on my Samsung.

The option is there in the OSD, but it's disabled for dvi input, I guess they expect the video card to be able to do the colour shifting on digital interfaces.

Comment

Can you set a higher "colour temperature" on then samsung? is 7100k

Comment

All I seem able to set when connected via DVI is brightness and contrast.

Comment

Try PowerStrip. It should do the job for you. Agreed, maybe it`s not the most elegant solution, but it should work... And, BTW, doesnt PowerDesk (or whatever Matrox drivers are called now, i`ve lost track) offer some color adjustment? It would be weird if it didnt...
                    Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

I don't see any colour adjustment in powerdesk. Am I missing something?

My ATI card has a colour management tab in the advanced display settings.

I've never used power strip before. Where can I get it?

Comment

check out Monitor Calibration Wizard

Comment

Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions guys (including the PMs),

PowerStrip gave me the direct control I needed to tweak my screens.

Comment

Working...
                            X