Anyone seen these deskfans...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone seen these deskfans...

I'm looking for a desk top fan that has LEDs in it that works like the LED signs - ie it displays text, animations and graphics on the moving fan blades.

I saw a Guinness one in a hotel bar last week, but they wouldn't let me have it. They had already turned down an offer of £350 for it I don't think the other half would have wanted me to bid more than that for it

I'd really love a Guinness one, but I'm guessing they are blooming rare. Anyone seen any other ones, or know who makes them?

cool idea for my next microcontroller project (pun intended)
    should cost about 20 in parts (minus the fan) - and a whole bunch of time coding.
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

would be kinda tricky to get wires from the fan base to the moving blades, unless you tack everything onto the blades and have it battery powered.
      The coding would indeed be interesting.. what microcontroller do you use?
      We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

playing with atmel avr's.
        the coding actually wouldn't be that hard.
        you would just need 'map' out a radial grid in timeslices, and upload this in the form of a table.
        then just cycle the led's through your table at a given interval. The whole works would be mounted in the center of the fan and powered off the mains through induction,or house a small xformer in the base of the fan and transfer the power to the center trough a couple of wipers or collars.

you could 'upload' a fresh table to change the display.
        would have to determine how may leds and on how many blades to mount them on.
        Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

This (german, but pics) was a submission to c't magazin's contest to build something nice or useful containing used computer parts

AZ
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

These people do a nice looking ceiling version - http://www.spectra-displays.co.uk/35.php

Comment

I have seen other led projections by guinness. There was no fan involved - just a vertical stip of pulsing red leds. However, if you flicked your eyes from right to left you got to see the message.

Cool subliminal advertising.
              The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Couldn't one use these:

(meant for use on a bicycle... )

Apparently, you can also put text on them...

Jörg
                pixar
                Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Or "TireTagz"

AZ
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                  X