REALbasic 5.5 FREE but only until 4/15/05

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REALbasic 5.5 FREE but only until 4/15/05

Because Microsoft has ended support for Visual Basic 6, REAL Software is offering Visual Basic users a new home-REALbasic. From now through April 15, 2005, Visual Basic users can get REALbasic 5.5 for Windows Standard Edition, completely free of charge.

cross-platform development tool, cross-platform app development tool, mobile development, multi-platform developement tool, mac development software, Xojo programming, Real Studio, REALbasic, Software Development Tool, Develop For Windows From Mac, Alternative to VB, VB for Mac, rapid application development tool, low code development tool, learn programming

why not, downloading now...and I don't even like VB

Comment

Not a bad deal really, given that REALbasic was always better in some ways than VB. Nevermind the cross-platform portability it offers.

Edit: Guess I should note that only the Pro version lets you compile for other platforms other than the one being used for development, but it's nice to have to option later on if you upgrade.
      Last edited by Jessterw; 12 April 2005, 08:47.
      “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

They would take off like a rocket ship if they had a Linux IDE instead of just Linux as a target.
        Not that I mean "just" quite the way that sounded.
        Pretty cool deal anyway, I'll DL it at home.
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by Jesterzwild
          Edit: Guess I should note that only the Pro version lets you compile for other platforms other than the one being used for development, but it's nice to have to option later on if you upgrade.
          That is a marketing mistake on their part as far a Linux is conserned.
          Linux people aren't known for their fondness for high dollar licenses.
          Though, I gather the 2005 version will come with a Linux IDE version.
          And the upgrade comes with the 5.5 license.
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

In defense of REAL Software, their target market has always been Mac and (later on) Windows developers. Adding support for Linux is really just a means of allowing those aforementioned developers to expand their own market.

I doubt they will lose any sleep over (some) Linux users being anal about paying for software.

Comment

This offer stated "Offer good for Visual Basic users only". Is there any problem downloading this without a VB license? I doubt it but thought I'd double check before going through the bother.
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

No problem at all.

Comment

Grassy Ass!
                  <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Would be nice if I actually got the email with the key. I've used two email addresses over two hours ago. Nothing on either one.

:: Edit ::

Look what turned up just now...

J1NG
                    Last edited by J1NG; 13 April 2005, 16:23.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesterzwild
                      In defense of REAL Software, their target market has always been Mac and (later on) Windows developers. Adding support for Linux is really just a means of allowing those aforementioned developers to expand their own market.

I doubt they will lose any sleep over (some) Linux users being anal about paying for software.
                      Not really knocking them, RAD tools for Linux just sounds like it would be a good market to me.
                      Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

How solid is the Windows port of this product? I've downloaded the package but haven't installed it yet.

I've actually never touched Visual Basic. I've done a fair amount of Basic programming in the past, though its probably been over twenty years since I last used it.

Comment

It's just as solid as the Mac version. REALbasic lacks some of the features found in Visual Studio (Visual Basic notNET), but is well-rounded.

Comment

Is VB still the main scripting language under Windows?

Speaking of VisualStudio ... I wonder if I've got an old copy of that lying around here somewhere. I want to get back to programming again some day ... after I get done with my endless list of projects.
                            Last edited by xortam; 14 April 2005, 09:42.

Comment

Oh I don't disagree, but given how fickle (F)OSS developers tend to be at times, I doubt the market is very good for a company that wants to actually make money selling licensed, closed-source software.

Comment

Working...
                              X